Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay gang I just purchased a 05 (new) Cannondale R5000. It comes with Hutchinson Fusion foldable tires which reading some of the reviews there is a reliability question for training.

I live in mid Missouri with lots of chip sealed roads around me. Can I please get some help with tire and tube selection that will be reliable (low flats) but still fast.

When I pick the bike up next week (waiting on a stem and seat post swap out) I will post the pics of my new baby.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
tgiboney said:
Okay gang I just purchased a 05 (new) Cannondale R5000. It comes with Hutchinson Fusion foldable tires which reading some of the reviews there is a reliability question for training.

I live in mid Missouri with lots of chip sealed roads around me. Can I please get some help with tire and tube selection that will be reliable (low flats) but still fast.

When I pick the bike up next week (waiting on a stem and seat post swap out) I will post the pics of my new baby.
I'd say ride the tires and see what you think. Experiences w/ tires are based on road conditions, the way a rider rides, luck.......so one person's experience won't necessarily match someone else's with the same tire.

Also what tire is best is dependent on what kind of riding you do.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should clarify reliable. I will be commuting (18 to 24 one way) to and from work during the week. I’m concerned about flats and being late for work, it was hard selling the boss on a place to store the bike inside and a place to cleanup and change so the last thing I want to do is start the relation ship off by being late.

The roads I will be riding on are in general good shape with some chip seal hear and there. Also one of my planed routes for later in the year is in the process of being repaved.

Please help me select a tire with low rolling resistance but good puncture resistance.

·
cog-it-goes ergo sum
120 Posts
I'd look into the new Specialized All Condition Armadillo Elite. New this year. I have regular All Conditions and have had no problems with them riding on frost-heaved, debris-strewn roads here in VT. Light, roll well, and very puncture resistant.

The "Armadillo Elite" adds their super puncture-resistant layer, but is much lighter than their standard, hard-as-a-rock Armadillos. I'm going to give them a shot.

Also, look at the Michelin Carbons (now called "Krylion Carbon").

1 - 4 of 4 Posts