Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for new tires and the choices seem overwhelming.

Here are my criteria.

1) Durable - I don't race but I am a B to B+ rider. Hoping to do a couple of centuries this year.

2) Relatively light - In favor of reducing my rotational mass on my bike.

3) Reasonable in price - looking to spend between $20 and $30 a tire.

I ride a reynolds 853 frame made by KHS - with mostly ultegra components if this helps.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Here's a few in your price range

Of course, if you use qbike.com or shop around a bit, you will find better tires at lower (discounted/clearance) prices

Continental Ultra 2000 - should be under $30
Vredestein Fortezza - My fave right now, can find for $30 or so
Michelin Carbon - Ultra durable
Michelin Erulium (sp?) - Used to be Axial Sport, a good tire

That's just a few, if you shop around you can get race rubber under $30

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Subjective subject

Tires are very subjective. However, I'll put my recommendations out:

1) Michelin Pro Race - excellent flat resistance, excellent dry grip, average wet grip, good wear, durable sidewalls, not too heavy, and feel great at 100-110 PSI. I use them for racing and good weather training with no complaints.

2) Vredestein Fortezza/Tri-Comp - very good flat resistance, very good grip wet or dry, good wear, good sidewalls, decent weight, the only drawback is that you have to pump them up to 130 PSI or the sidewalls seem flexy. I am currently using these on my winter bike because their slightly lower profile in 23mm fits under my fenders (tight clearance). I have not had a flat in 3000km of training, a lot of it in rainy weather.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Doh! Prices

For the above tires, check out eBay and look for the "biketiresdirect" retailer. They have very good prices. Also send an email to critUSAatAOLdotcom for his current pricing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
[

Performance bike has some great deals on a number of their clinchers right now. Especially if you check out the 2 or 3 for the price of 1 deals.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
What I used to do..

Is troll the internet bike shops and buy what's on sale. The problem there is every time you turn around you are buying different tires.

A couple of mid-price tires I've had good luck with are Vittoria Rubino Pro's and Vredestein Fortezza's. Check biketiresdirect.com, as previously mentioned for some good deals on tires.

Conti Ultra 2000's (folding) are good all-around tires and they wear well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
durable tires

I'll second the vote for Michelin Axial Carbons. I've found that they have excellent tread wear and are fairly puncture resistant. They seem to run about $30 on the internet. For a little bit more money, the Axial Pro Races are excellent-- not quite as durable or puncture proof as the carbons but they're light and ride beautifully, and can be found for c. $35 on the internet. These days, I'm running an Axial Carbon on the rear with a Pro Race up front, where durability is less of an issue than handling. BIke purists may sneer at the non-matching tires, but I don't care.

I've had mixed experiences with the Conti Ultra 2000s. They seem to ride well and tread life is decent, but I always seem to get a catastropic sidewall failure before I even get close to wearing out the tread. I wonder if this is secondary to riding on chipped and potholed pavement, and it might be a non-issue if you ride on smooth roads. I don't have much experience with other brands.

·
Registered
656 Posts
conti

first, DO NOT purchase Hutchinson Carbon Comp Gold tires. they suck. they are flimsy and attract flats like blood attracts sharks. DO purchase Continental Grand Prix 3000 tires. i cannot imagine a better tire. i have ridden about 7-800 miles on them, and i have yet to get a flat. they are light and have pretty low rolling resistance, and corner very well in both wet and dry conditions. i will definately put another set of GP3000s on my bike when this set wears out. theyre light, tough, and handle great. what more do you want?

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
~ Panaracer Pasela Tour Guard's. Pretty light, pretty cheap, tough, and wear good.

~ Vredestein Fortezza's. Same as above, but with a slightly better ride. Used those and Vitt Corsa's on my roadie. My current Vred Campo's are exactly the same as a Fortezza, but wider with low-profile knobs. I've beat the crap out of them without a glitch yet.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
I second the recomendation for Panaracer Pasela TG. Rode from San Francisco to L.A., and never got a f!at. :p

AJS said:
~ Panaracer Pasela Tour Guard's. Pretty light, pretty cheap, tough, and wear good.

~ Vredestein Fortezza's. Same as above, but with a slightly better ride. Used those and Vitt Corsa's on my roadie. My current Vred Campo's are exactly the same as a Fortezza, but wider with low-profile knobs. I've beat the crap out of them without a glitch yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I second the Conti GP 3000's. I've had over 4000 km on a set of the all black ones with no flats and only a couple of small cuts in the sidewalls. The rear has squared off but still rides OK and the front still has a fair bit of tread left on it - I'll swap it over to the back when the rear one gets down to the threads.

FWIW I weigh 78kg and run the front at 90psi and the rear at 95.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Tires

Michelin Pro Race except that the retail price is above your budget and I believe in sticking to your budget. Maybe go with the Axial Carbon.
My experience with Vredrestei Fortezza was on the negative side, but only tried one set. I would not buy them again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts