Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
durable tires

I'll second the vote for Michelin Axial Carbons. I've found that they have excellent tread wear and are fairly puncture resistant. They seem to run about $30 on the internet. For a little bit more money, the Axial Pro Races are excellent-- not quite as durable or puncture proof as the carbons but they're light and ride beautifully, and can be found for c. $35 on the internet. These days, I'm running an Axial Carbon on the rear with a Pro Race up front, where durability is less of an issue than handling. BIke purists may sneer at the non-matching tires, but I don't care.

I've had mixed experiences with the Conti Ultra 2000s. They seem to ride well and tread life is decent, but I always seem to get a catastropic sidewall failure before I even get close to wearing out the tread. I wonder if this is secondary to riding on chipped and potholed pavement, and it might be a non-issue if you ride on smooth roads. I don't have much experience with other brands.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.