Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I'm being a cheap skate right now and don't want to spend $80 on a new set of tires. Is there any way to repair a somewhat small sidewall gash? The tires are Vittorias that came on the bike and only have 600 miles on them. The cut was from going down my .5 mile gravel driveway. I'm usually more cautious but I was going 20mph downhill this time.

While I have this thread started. I planned on my next set of tires being Conti GP4000s but now I'm wondering if my gravel road might be a problem for them. My other option is getting gatorskins. Is there really much of a performance difference between the two? There are no goat heads where I live so punctures on the road are rare.

Edit: The photo is with a boot made out of a heavy duty mountain bike tube at 60psi.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Using a boot is the only option. New tires are cheaper than most other parts and medical bills by the way.

Yes, gravel is a problem for Conti GP4000s (or most any race tires for that matter but those are notorious for ease of cutting side walls and sharp rocks that kick up on gravel will definitely do it)

·
Overequipped, underlegged
800 Posts
Whoa that sure seems to be bulging quite a bit... I'm not sure i'd be comfortable riding on that tyre, I'd be expecting it to blow at any second...

You do have the option of replacing only one of them. I loathe running different tires front and rear but it's a much cheaper alternative that replacing both of them...

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Throw that tire away! I wouldn't ride that. No way. No how. My face, teeth, and life are worth more than $80.

Since I'm being a cheap skate right now and don't want to spend $80 on a new set of tires.
So buy a single tire for $20-$30.

While I have this thread started. I planned on my next set of tires being Conti GP4000s but now I'm wondering if my gravel road might be a problem for them. My other option is getting gatorskins. Is there really much of a performance difference between the two? There are no goat heads where I live so punctures on the road are rare.
I wouldn't ride GP4000's regularly on gravel.

I'm not a big fan of Gatorskins. The casing is just too rigid. You have another option. Continental Grand Prix 4 Season. They're between the GP4000 and Gatorskin. They have the puncture protection of the Gatorskin but more supple like the GP4000.
They're usually the same price as the GP4000's.
continental bicycle Grand Prix 4-Season

I recently did the Hell of Hunterdon ride which is 60mi road and 20mi dirt/gravel. I used the Grand Prix 4 Season and they were awesome.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. After putting in a new tube and boot I rode the .5 miles straight back home. Its a weekday ride I do before work (I work nightshift) and couldn't afford to get stranded 10 miles in.

I guess I'll be getting some new tires tomorrow. I'll check out the GP 4 - season tires.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dibs on the OP's stuff. Well, the stuff that isn't ruined in the crash.
I come from the world of mountain biking. Where we sew a sidewall slash back together with needle and fishing line. Then continue to run tubeless down steep rocky mountains. :D

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Go slow down your driveway and that was not a proper boot for the size of the cut, BTW.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Unsafe at any speed - REPLACE! A new tire is cheaper than the medical bills you may possibly incur when you go down.

1) Maxxis Re-Fuse are nearly bombproof and they're only $35 per tire.

2) Road tires are not designed to blast down gravel at 20mph, period. If you really need to do this, get an all terrain tire.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go slow down your driveway and that was not a proper boot for the size of the cut, BTW.
I will be going slower from now on. It was just unexpected since I've gone down this road for almost every ride I've been on. The boot was definitely not good enough. What do you guys normally carry around to use as a boot in this situation? I was thinking some sort of nylon fabric that isn't going to stretch. I have flat webbing from rock climbing that I can use. Not to repair this tire; just to keep in my tool kit during rides.

I'm going to the LBS in a few minutes to buy a new set of tires. They have a ton of Conti tires so it will probably be Gator Skins.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
I will be going slower from now on. It was just unexpected since I've gone down this road for almost every ride I've been on. The boot was definitely not good enough. What do you guys normally carry around to use as a boot in this situation? I was thinking some sort of nylon fabric that isn't going to stretch. I have flat webbing from rock climbing that I can use. Not to repair this tire; just to keep in my tool kit during rides.

I'm going to the LBS in a few minutes to buy a new set of tires. They have a ton of Conti tires so it will probably be Gator Skins.
Cheek Skin Banknote Chin Forehead

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Tyvek from a FedEx envelope makes an awesome envelope. It also makes an outstanding foot cover if you get stuck out in unexpected cold rain - outside the sock, inside the shoe. It also makes an outstanding chest insulator if you get stuck in unexpected cold (with or without rain). Just stuff it in your jersey. As cyclists, we really have to thank FedEx for leaving boxes full of get out of jail free cards all over the place.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Yeah!. Dollar bills or tyvek will do fine in a pinch. I usually carry a couple of the Park Tool boots because they are harder/stiffer and can withstand bulging better than the lighter material.
On my loooong trips I carry a 6" length of tire casing cut out from a discarded tire and then cut it to size if the need arises.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I keep a folded over section of duct tape in my saddle bags.

I've never had to use it on my own bike (I run GP 4seasons), but I've donated it to people who did need it and it worked great.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
What do you guys normally carry around to use as a boot in this situation?
The Park Tool ones. I had a pretty bad slash once and although a dollar got me home it bulged out quite a bit and I considered myself very lucky I made it.
Then I decided to get a few of those Park tool things, carried one around for 4 years without using it, then must have hit a sword in the road and cut the tire from bead to bead (no exaggeration). The thing worked like a charm and got me another 35 miles home.

I used a gel pack once and that worked but it was just a small gash.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Park Tool ones. I had a pretty bad slash once and although a dollar got me home it bulged out quite a bit and I considered myself very lucky I made it.
Then I decided to get a few of those Park tool things, carried one around for 4 years without using it, then must have hit a sword in the road and cut the tire from bead to bead (no exaggeration). The thing worked like a charm and got me another 35 miles home.

I used a gel pack once and that worked but it was just a small gash.
Thats crazy! I guess I'll be getting the park tool boots. I heard of the dollar bill trick but it seems like there would be better solutions to me.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Thats crazy! I guess I'll be getting the park tool boots. I heard of the dollar bill trick but it seems like there would be better solutions to me.
A tip for carrying those things so they don't get mangled, folded ect; Those plastic things that baseball card collectors use work really great.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I find the Park Tool tire boots will fatigue and crack after some use so are not a long-term solution. I cut them in 1/2 to use in road tires.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts