Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on tubeless and tubulars lately as I bought a set of tubulars for one of my older bikes and am buying a set of Stan's tubless tires for another frame I just bought. Years ago I had an old Gitane with tubulars and it came with tiresavers on it. Those metal scrapers that rub on the tires to knock off road debris. (The Sheldon Brown site describes them) I just bought an old bike and restored it and it came with tire savers on it and I am using one on the rear tubular. I'm wondering what people think about the effectiveness of them and if they really work. I'm thinking that some people who live in really bad (road debris) areas (Seattle is not on this list IMO) might benifit from using them. I can't see how they wouldn't help. I don't have one on my front tire as I have never gotten a flat in the front, only the back (not entirely true but it wasn't a road hazzard type flat). They do whine a bit but only until you get up to speed a little. Note: I think you would have had to be riding in the 70's or 80's to remember these. I could be wrong but I haven't seen them for years. The bike that they came on was my '78 Trek.
Your thoughts

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Holy smokes I haven't used 'tire savers' for forty years! For those going "huh?" here is a pic -

We used to make a poverty version by stretching tape from stay to stay (or leg to leg) just above the tire with a small arced cutout in the tape.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I used to use them back in the late 70's, early 80's. They worked great for things like glass, that would need a few revolutions of the tire to cut all the way through. So if you're riding in an urban area, they might help. They wear down fairly quickly, but I was just talking with a friend a few weeks ago about how someone could probably re-introduce them.

Another gadget that was must-have during that time.... The Flickstand, whatever happend to those?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
They were great. I don't think we use them anymore because they weighed 3 grams and produce .05 watts of drag. We're just not manly enough to overcome that anymore....

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
They didn't press hard at all. They were set (bent) to barely touch the tire. They were just to flick out debris before it got embedded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts