Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Number range

RS2 Rider said:
Is there a rider weight in which one should go from a 23mm to 25mm tire?
There are too many variables to state a specific number, but in the general advice category, something in the 160-170 lb (73-75 kg) range, there should be no problems with 23 mm. Over 200-210 lb (93-95 kg) most people would do better on 25mm or wider. You will get opinions outside these ranges, and that's where the "too many variables" come in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm currently 194 pounds and have ridden 23mm's for 26 years. I think I will try 25mm just to make a comparison. Sadly with the price of high end tires it's not something to casually try.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I'd say if pinch flats become a concern before handling does, as you try lower pressures for a comfortable ride, you should be on a fatter tire.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
You will like 25's.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
I am a pretty big guy - 6'4" and over the years my weight has been as low as 196 (when I was in my racing prime :)) and, uh, much higher. For a long time I rode 23's pumped up to about 120psi with no big problems.

Quite a few years back I was away from home and had a tire get destroyed on a training ride. I went to the local shop and they had the tire I was looking for (Vredestein Fortezza) but only in 25's. Given the immediate need (I had a race the next night) I bought a set and off I went. No big difference that I could notice for a few weeks.

My big revelation with the wider tires is when I figured out I could drop the tire pressure quite a bit and still not get pinch flats. I could ride the 25's at about 105psi which was a major difference in perfromance - no more jackhammer ride, better grip in corners and in the wet, it was a huge deal.

So if you made it this far thhrough my story, I don't think there is a good guideline to use for weight vs. tire width because most heavier riders up the pressure as a preventitive measure (and also because the perception is that the rock-hard tire is faster). If you can change some of your habits, you will get more benefit from wider tires regardless of how much you weigh.

FWIW, I now run the largest tires I can fit under my fork crown (28's @ 90-95 psi) and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
796 Posts
+1000 on going from 23's to 25's. Just made the switch myself the other day & took 'em out in my group ride on Tuesday night. Probably won't ever go back to 23's if the other night is any indication. I bought the Specialized S Works Roubaix Open Tubular tire and loved the feel of the tire. Would HIGHLY recommend going to a 25.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts