Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dont feel like commuting to school on my TCR1, as most college campus' are like the bermuda triangle for bikes. justed picked up a free peugeot (carbolite 103), perfect college bike. I noted that the tires say 27 1/4", a size i am not familiar with. So a few questions:

I would guess this is an early 80's bike (due to the carbolite frame material) and as thus, the standard rims that came with this bike are meant for what size tires, 700c or 27 1/4" or other??? (did not notice if the rims actually had size printed on them!)

Also, if it is indeed 27 1/4" (692c ??), then is that compatible with 700c? If not, will i be able to find new 27 1/4" tires?

And tubes? Can i get 27 1/4" tubes with schrader valves? (schrader is what the rims are meant for, can i convert to presta?)

Any additional info would be helpful. Thanks.

~bilydu

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
I just ordered some Vittoria Zaffiros in 27 1/8 and 27'' (actually medium 700c but the site said they would work w 27s) schrader tubes from Nashbar. They also have 27 1/4 tires and have multiple brands models. I also found them at biketiresdirect and harris cyclery.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,197 Posts
bilydu said:
I dont feel like commuting to school on my TCR1, as most college campus' are like the bermuda triangle for bikes. justed picked up a free peugeot (carbolite 103), perfect college bike. I noted that the tires say 27 1/4", a size i am not familiar with. So a few questions:

I would guess this is an early 80's bike (due to the carbolite frame material) and as thus, the standard rims that came with this bike are meant for what size tires, 700c or 27 1/4" or other??? (did not notice if the rims actually had size printed on them!)

Also, if it is indeed 27 1/4" (692c ??), then is that compatible with 700c? If not, will i be able to find new 27 1/4" tires?

And tubes? Can i get 27 1/4" tubes with schrader valves? (schrader is what the rims are meant for, can i convert to presta?)

Any additional info would be helpful. Thanks.

~bilydu
Check the rims with a magnet to see if they are steel, If they are, be very careful if you get caught out in the rain. Steel rims are about worthless as braking surface when wet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.