Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1/4 inch slice in my tire, in the middle, perpendicular to the roatation to the tire. I believe it goes al the way through, or at least almost. They are Specialized Mondo 23C roadbike tires. The surface of the tire is smooth. I use the bike to commute to work.

Here is a link to a picture of the type of tire I am refering to. Using the picture as a reference, the slice runs from the left to right.

Does anyone think this tire will fail me anytime soon?

Your advice on expierence with this sort of situation would be nice.

Thank you... :)

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

stihl said:
I would patch the inside of the tire and if the tube doesn't bulge, I'd still use it.
I deflated, cleaned the tire and re-inflated. The tire/tube does not bulge.

·
Banned
608 Posts
If you do use it, I would suggest using it on the rear wheel. You don't want your front to blow at the wrong time.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
On the outside

KendleFox said:
Do I put it on the inside and push it through?
You said there's no bulge when you inflate, so the cut can't go through the cord, so you can't push anything from the inside. The idea is to fill the space to lessen the likelihood of something poking through, so apply the Shoe Goo (that's the brand name; it's sold at sneaker stores) on the otside with the tire fully inflated. Black rubber sealant that you can get at the hardware store works, too, and looks a little neater (if that matters).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.