Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, just got myself a new Focus which came with Continental Grand Prix in 24mm.

Anyway, first couple of weeks were great and i was diving into corners like a demon but now all of a sudden when i go into corners the front tyre seems to squeal like its going to give way.

Initially i thought maybe it was a bit flat but no that is not the case.

Anyway, its quite unsettling and i'm now backing off.

Has anyone experienced this?

I've ridden many others like the 4000s, Pro Race4 and various Vittorias without this issue.

cheers

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
99% chance the squeal you hear isn't the tire but the brakes rubbing due to wheel or frame (most likely wheel) flex.
That doesn't necessarily mean your wheels are overly flexy, they all flex to some degree and it could be your brakes just need to be backed off a bit.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, pretty much discounted it being the brakes by goin gfor a ride with teh brakes open.

Just found a post on another forum with the same issue and it turned out being the hub so sounds like that's prob it.

Thanks

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Just a general additional point. Your fear that the front tire is "going to give way" is probably unfounded. On good pavement that's dry and without loose material, a road bike tire has amazing grip. Few riders come anywhere near the limit. You may be far more demonic than most, but chances are you're well within the tire's ability. In any event, it wouldn't announce itself with a squeal -- it would just go. If a front tire washes out you're on the ground before you know anything is wrong. But it rarely happens, unless you hit loose stuff. A very small amount of sand or gravel in the wrong place can do it, but I'm sure you know that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.