Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found some tires that I like on one of my bikes. I was thinking of buying some extras to have once the current ones are worn. What concerns me is how they age and what they may be like a couple years later when mounted up.

Granted tire technology usually improves but I've gone through this before where the newer variant was disappointing. Then that treadmill of trying tires begins again. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Cool dry place

If you store the tires in a cool, dry place, out of the sun and away from electric motors (ozone generators), you will have no problems from storing them two years. Put in a plastic bag for extra protection.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd put some tires away and had forgotten about them until I was cleaning a closet some 6 years later. The rubber had become stiffer/firmer. I wonder if the gasses given off by the various plastics in bags may have some effect in storage. "Acid free"? Tires are archival things now. ;)

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Two years on a set of tires? Really? If you are riding that little, then I'd probably not bother with the advance purchase. But as others have noted, that would be no problem in terms of storage.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Never a bad idea to have a spare set of tires. Some riders do report 2 years of fairly high mileage wear on certain tires (see the Reviews section), but I'm more likely to loose a tire to damage than wearing it out (MTB or road). Last fall I lost a $40 Conti with less than 200mi on it to a bad cut through the tread and casing. Changed the tube to ride home, but found the tire bulged at the cut :( Changed the tire that night & did not miss the weekend ride the next AM.

I hang my tires in the basement. Heat and sun are a tire's worst enemies, so someplace relatively cool and dark should be OK.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Spare hoops/spare wheels

I have my extra tires on a couple of hoops and on a couple of complete wheels that I keep in my closet. Nic and cool in there. I also store my Tequilla and coffee beans in there too. I keep a daily planner that I look at before going to work that rememnds me to pump up those spare tires at the end of every month. I've had tires in storage for two years without any problems. Maybe I'm just lucky. After a "season" of riding my tires on the good road bike goes onto the beater bike. Always good to have spares.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts