Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my first set of tubular wheels in years and need some feedback on tire selection. Cost is not as big a concern as resistance to flats and ride quality. These will get lots of training miles on mostly decent quality Northern California roads.

Any thoughts?

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,310 Posts
Continental Sprinters. Reasonably priced. Rugged. Round. Not as cushy as the higher-end Vittorias, but one heckuva lot better riding than a cheap Vittoria or one of those @#$% modern Clements. Plus, at least according to an article I read in a cycling magazine a couple years ago, they're actually handmade by a couple of sweet old ladies in a corner of the Continental Tire Factory in Germany. Ach du lieber!

I also enjoyed my time with a Tufo Carbon.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Flat resistance and ride quality are more or less mutually exclusive unfortunately. I am waiting for some 2006 Conti Comp vectrans to show up from the UK that are supposed to alter that relationship but I will see how it goes.

The best place for tires is from the UK. Vittoria, Conti, MIchelin are all about 33-40% cheaper at current exchange rates. I ended up at $55 each for the conti competitions including shipping (from ribblecycles.co.uk)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.