Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While researching tires for my recumbent I noticed that tires had a thread count of from 60 to over three hundred. Could someone please explain the meaning of threads per inch or point me in the direction of where to learn about this. I asked at my LBS and they said that the tires with the higher TPI used a smaller diameter thread and the ones with the lower TPI used a thicker thread. Does the lower thread count mean the tires are not as good as the higher TPI? Which is better? Thanks, Rich M

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Higher thread count tires are usually better. They create a more supple ride and better puncture resistance.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Check the math

Some low thread count tires will triple the number if it has a three-ply casing- they will still ride like garden hoses.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Rich M said:
While researching tires for my recumbent I noticed that tires had a thread count of from 60 to over three hundred. Could someone please explain the meaning of threads per inch or point me in the direction of where to learn about this. I asked at my LBS and they said that the tires with the higher TPI used a smaller diameter thread and the ones with the lower TPI used a thicker thread. Does the lower thread count mean the tires are not as good as the higher TPI? Which is better? Thanks, Rich M
there're also 33TPI low end tires

as posters above mentionned higher TPI is better. However, to my experience the diff btw 127 and 250 is insignificant. 60 and esp 33 TPI ride harsh, have higher rolling resistance and less grip; you don't want them.

·
Undiscovered Cyclist
76 Posts
I can testify to the better rolling resistance with higher thread count tires. I've had both types of tires on my bike while using rollers. Rolling with the cheaper lower thread type tires is somewhat like riding with the brakes on.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
brurider said:
I can testify to the better rolling resistance with higher thread count tires. I've had both types of tires on my bike while using rollers. Rolling with the cheaper lower thread type tires is somewhat like riding with the brakes on.
Conti's GP3000 and the 4-seasons each have 430tpi. My 4-seasons are great and 1900 without a flat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.