Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than waiting until it's obvious, how do I tell when my tires (especially the rear) is ready for replacement? I am on my first set of tires (other than the quickly discarded stock tires). New bike - new rider.

I have 1000 miles on a set of GP4000's - no rotation. All the hype on these tires say they have a wear indicator - but I have no idea where or what that is. The back tire has taken on a definite "flatness" on the running surface, but still goes as well as ever as far as I can tell.

I ride mostly on a fairly smooth rail-to-trail. My weight is 160, and I always inflate the tires before any ride. For the first 600 or so, I was going 120 front and rear, until someone with far more knowlege than I suggested going down to 110 rear and 100 front.

So do I take the tires in to my LBS and let them judge, or what do I look for other than threads to indicate wear? Just exactly what are the wear indicators on the GP's?

From what little I know, these 4000's are good tires - but I now have a yearning for Michelin Carbons.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
First off, don't ever rotate your tires. Ever!
You can take the front and put it on the rear, but don't ever put a used rear on the front.

If you have a "flatness" on the rear, the time may be near to replace. Depends on how pronouced the flatness is.

And Mich Carbons are overrated IMO. Not worth the money, wear fast, and cut when you look at them the wrong way. You want a good tire, buy Vittorias or stick with the Conti's.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See your point.............

See the point about keeping worn rear tires off the front. So basically if "a set" of tires is good for say 2000 miles - I will be buying a new tire every 1000 m or so, moving the front to the rear and putting new on front. AND that's if I stay with the same tire.!

I got out of golf because of the cost. ( I of course had to have the new and better clubs), but this cycling thing may have golf beat. The good new is that I get more exercise putting the bike on the car than playing 36 holes of golf.

Now................got to think of a way over breakfast tomorrow..................You know honey, that one tire I bought just isn't up to par.Could cause a bad wreck. I think I'm going to have to go down today and get a new one.:)

Gee this is fun!

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
See the point about keeping worn rear tires off the front.
There is a way to safely rotate your tires: do it after every ride. That would also give you quality time with your bike every evening after supper - "gotta do my tire rotation now . . ." :D

The wear indicators are very small, circular depressions (I don't want to call them holes) in the tread surface of the tire. When you can't see them any more, it's time to re-tire according to Continental. Myself, I run tires until I begin to see threads.

I wonder why you got GP4000s for rail-to-trail riding. These tires were made primarily for people who go around tight turns on asphalt at insane speeds. Durability and toughness were not priority one when the GP4000 was designed. For your kind of riding, consider a tougher and slightly heavier tire.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Have not had the GP4000

But like a previous poster said, MUTS trail, GP4000? You could get 2 Ultra 2000 tires(wire bead) for the price of 1 4000. Or buy a set of Gommitalia Calypsos @$56 a set. Tires in some instances are over rated, having been a former golfer you might know what i mean comparing the variety of clubs etc.

·
Banned
471 Posts
bboseley said:
See the point about keeping worn rear tires off the front. So basically if "a set" of tires is good for say 2000 miles - I will be buying a new tire every 1000 m or so, moving the front to the rear and putting new on front. AND that's if I stay with the same tire.!

I got out of golf because of the cost. ( I of course had to have the new and better clubs), but this cycling thing may have golf beat. The good new is that I get more exercise putting the bike on the car than playing 36 holes of golf.

Now................got to think of a way over breakfast tomorrow..................You know honey, that one tire I bought just isn't up to par.Could cause a bad wreck. I think I'm going to have to go down today and get a new one.:)

Gee this is fun!
That's what makes buying a new ties (etc.) for My bike more possible: by not having a "honey" to support. They are more xpensive. sweet first, but :mad2: sour over time.

·
Registered
984 Posts
If you can start to see the pattern of the fabric under the rubber, the tire needs to be replaced. I finally replaced my Conti Sprinter rear tire yesterday after over 2000 miles on the rear. I could see the pattern of the fabric in a couple of places. That tire was very square, the flat spot on the tread is about 8mm wide. I moved the front wheel body to the rear hub, glued a new tire to the rear wheel body and mounted it on the front hub. ( Interchangable wheel bodies make the job easy! ) The old front tire had over 2000 miles on it and will hopefully be good for 2000 more now it is on the rear. The new front tire felt great this morning - more secure cornering than the old one.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
When you can see the casing threads, it's done.

Ditto if any cut is causing a bulge in the casing.

I've had good luck with Michelin carbons. I've been trying to wear out the set on my training wheels for 2,500 miles, plus a bunch of trainer hours, but it's still going. They've picked up lots of superficial cuts, but nothing serious.

·
Registered
98 Posts
bboseley said:

Gee this is fun!
You'll have plenty of time to golf when you retire. :D
Sure- now buying more gear can be seen as a safety issue. :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.