Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So…disclaimer first. I've been riding about a year, getting more serious about it now. The friend who got me into cycling and I have been riding a good bit more lately, some weeks upwards of 100 miles. I'm probably going to be commuting on my road bike (only own one) about 100-150 mi/week (realistically) starting in about 2 weeks until it gets too cold (or dark too early on that route…not the best parts of town).

I'm still on the Mondo tires that came with my bike last summer. The wear is pretty even and not at all disconcerting, and I've only had one flat. Part of it is that my friend and I are apparently crazy, but I corner faster and (apparently) more confidently than a lot of people we ride with on group rides, even though a lot of them ride much better tires.

My friend has had several road and mountain bikes and changes ties a LOT less frequently than anyone on here claims. Well, he changes MTB tires based on conditions, but it's been a while since he bought new ones. Most of his older road tires don't have any tread left, which doesn't matter since tread doesn't do anything on road tires. But, none of them have worn through to the casings; none of them flat any more frequently than they ever did; and none of them get sloppy in turns. One of his bikes (that isn't used very much anymore) is on Michelin Axial Pros that have several thousand miles on them. They don't even make that tire anymore.

None of his bikes have been raced, but he rode the BRAG (Bike Ride Across Georgia, a week long stage group ride averaging just under 100 mi/day) on his giant like 6 years ago…and it's still got the same tires…and they still appear to work fine (they show no visible wear that would indicate the end of their life, and they survived being loaned to my girlfriend a few weeks ago…the wear indicator even on the back is still showing a little life left in them).

Do top-end clinchers actually wear out that much faster?

If so, am I just missing something? I'm used to tires for automobile and motorcycle racing wearing out very quickly because their compound is so much softer. But I've ridden some decent tires (old veloflex from the '90s and modern conti. GP series black chili tires) and while it's obvious that they are better, I can't figure out why buying several tires a year could possibly be worth the difference if they really wear out that fast.

So…do people just like having fresh shoes, or am I missing something?

Also…why doesn't Toyo make bike tires?

·
Registered
21,541 Posts
Mileage?

moostapha said:
One of his bikes (that isn't used very much anymore) is on Michelin Axial Pros that have several thousand miles on them.
Bicycle tires wear out due to power dissipation - the pedaling forces scrub rubber particles off the tire. Thicker tread rubber (heavier tire), lower tire pressures, and harder tread compound mean longer tread life, all else equal. "Several thousand" miles would be a meaningful number if we knew the actual mileage, the rider's weight, typical riding speeds, and the tire brand/model of the tire. "Several" means more than 6 for some people, and 2 or 3 to other people.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
There is a noticeable difference in wear rates when I run Krylion vs Pro Race 3's. The Krylions probably last twice as long. So there is definitely something to the softer thread rubber wearing out quicker.

You will really notice the difference between a mid-range hard rubber tire like a Krylion and a high-end Pro Race 3 when it's wet and you have to take a corner at high speed. The Pro Race 3's softer compound will grip significantly better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts