Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding Vittoria Rubino Pro's for years. I do not even know the last time that I looked at a different tire. I ordered another pair from Ribble a few weeks ago. They have not arrived still and I want to finish the build out of my current steel bike. A buddy had a Vittoria Zaffiro sitting around so I took it and went to Performance to buy another one. I pulled the wrong tire out so put it back and then pulled out the Zaffiro. I could not believe the difference in weight. The Zaffiro was really heavy in comparison. I am not a weight weenie but I was quite surprised. I looked it up when I got home and was surprised to find out that my Rubion Pro, which costs double the Zaffiro was even heavier. The Pro was 360g vs the Zaffiro at 350g.
Curiosity got the better of me so I started looking at the weights of other tires. I was amazed to see that some like the Conti Grand Prix were 230g.
I am basing this off of 25's but still I never thought there was that much variance in the weight of tires.
What did this new found knowledge do to my bike experience? Not a thing. I will stick with my Rubino Pros as they have been good to me and I see no reason to change.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I have been riding Vittoria Rubino Pro's for years. I do not even know the last time that I looked at a different tire. I ordered another pair from Ribble a few weeks ago. They have not arrived still and I want to finish the build out of my current steel bike. A buddy had a Vittoria Zaffiro sitting around so I took it and went to Performance to buy another one. I pulled the wrong tire out so put it back and then pulled out the Zaffiro. I could not believe the difference in weight. The Zaffiro was really heavy in comparison. I am not a weight weenie but I was quite surprised. I looked it up when I got home and was surprised to find out that my Rubion Pro, which costs double the Zaffiro was even heavier. The Pro was 360g vs the Zaffiro at 350g.
Curiosity got the better of me so I started looking at the weights of other tires. I was amazed to see that some like the Conti Grand Prix were 230g.
I am basing this off of 25's but still I never thought there was that much variance in the weight of tires.
What did this new found knowledge do to my bike experience? Not a thing. I will stick with my Rubino Pros as they have been good to me and I see no reason to change.
I was going to answer until I got to the last line. Then I thought WTF? I think I'll ask the moderator for my click back. :idea:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well I'll answer.
I think you read the weight of the wire bead Rubino not-Pro which is 345g, but you found 360g. The folding Rubino Pro is 225g.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have 2 new in the box 25 Rubino Pro III's here. One measures 248g, the other 250g.

They do have thicker tread than many other fast tires. A steal at the blowout prices for these older non-graphene models. I believe the Rubino Pro Slick version weighs slightly less. That version went pretty fast when the prices dropped.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
On a related note, do you any of you know, what tired replaced the "Vittoria Pro Lite"?

I got a chance to try then out and really liked them, but I could be wrong in the name because I can't seem to find them online.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,437 Posts
It's been said many times before, but it bears repeating:

Light
Durable
Cheap

Pick two.

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I'll answer.
I think you read the weight of the wire bead Rubino not-Pro which is 345g, but you found 360g. The folding Rubino Pro is 225g.
You are correct. After seeing that, I went back and checked. I also ride the Rubino Pro, not the Rubino.
It's been said many times before, but it bears repeating:

Light
Durable
Cheap

Pick two.
Lol. Too true. I am not a weight weenie and I try to find the balance. Light and Durable are always important but getting the best deal on Light and Durable is the way that I tend to go. Of course, that is within reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts