Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I'm thinking of starting the annual tubular gluing process. Have 3 sets of tires to mount on 3 different wheelsets. Thought I'd solicit some opinions on which tires to mount on which wheels. I'm 145lb, racing master1 in Ontario. Most courses are pretty smooth. Not a lot of sharp rocks, maybe 4 really muddy races per year (assuming the weather gods cooperate).

The tires:
1. Vittoria XM 320tpi 32's. Mud tires.
2. FMB SSC 32s (thanks JMoote!). Probably my go-to tires for most races.
3. FMB Sprint 32 rear, SSC or Grifo 32 front. Fast/dry day tire

The wheels:
A. Niobium tubulars, 32x Sapim laser spokes, Dura-ace hubs. Bomber but reasonable weight.
B. Ambrosio nemesis, 32x Revolutions, Dura-ace hubs. Also pretty bomber, maybe a bit lighter.
C. Bontrager Race X lite. Bought used, had to true them a bit and still not perfect. Light. Tough on the road, but not sure how they'll stand up to a CX course.

I was thinking of pairing the Vittorias with the niobium wheels, the SSCs on the Nemesis as a go-to wheel/tire combo for most races, and run the dry conditions tires on the Bontragers. But, if the Bontragers are tough enough for cross, the lighter weight might make them a good match with the SSCs for most races.

Opinions very much appreciated.

· Administrator
13,152 Posts
800lbgorilla said:
Hi everyone

I'm thinking of starting the annual tubular gluing process. Have 3 sets of tires to mount on 3 different wheelsets. Thought I'd solicit some opinions on which tires to mount on which wheels. I'm 145lb, racing master1 in Ontario. Most courses are pretty smooth. Not a lot of sharp rocks, maybe 4 really muddy races per year (assuming the weather gods cooperate).

The tires:
1. Vittoria XM 320tpi 32's. Mud tires.
2. FMB SSC 32s (thanks JMoote!). Probably my go-to tires for most races.
3. FMB Sprint 32 rear, SSC or Grifo 32 front. Fast/dry day tire

The wheels:
A. Niobium tubulars, 32x Sapim laser spokes, Dura-ace hubs. Bomber but reasonable weight.
B. Ambrosio nemesis, 32x Revolutions, Dura-ace hubs. Also pretty bomber, maybe a bit lighter.
C. Bontrager Race X lite. Bought used, had to true them a bit and still not perfect. Light. Tough on the road, but not sure how they'll stand up to a CX course.
B-2
C-3
A-1

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
agreed

you and Coolhand are on the right page
have the light wheelset w/ the sprint
that way you have your lightest wheels for dryest / nicest courses

· veldrijder
444 Posts
I've been going through the same debate with how to pair up my various treads and wheels all summer. I think I've got it figured out.

For you, I'm inclined to agree more or less with Coolhand. The Nemesis/D-A wheels would make a great everyday set and putting the tires you'll use most on them makes sense. If you were a little more confident in the Bontragers or the weight differential was more (they aren't that much lighter) I'd say run those most of the time, but as it is leaving them for the fast/dry courses seems to make sense, as you'll appreciate the weight savings most then. That leaves the Niobiums with the mud tires by default, which works just fine.

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
and some dry courses

are essentially grass crits where a sprint tire will work fine and also less chance of hitting something that will knock the rim from true

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Interesting. See I was leaning towards putting the lightest wheelset with the everyday tires and then the next lightest with the mud tires. My thinking was that a lighter wheelset would be more manageable in mud than a heavier one. But then I'd be stuck with my dry tires on my heaviest wheelset, which would hurt on hard accelerations, but might keep speed better. I guess you can debate out the nuances forever.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I've been on the fence on whether to pair the SSCs with the Bontys or the Nemesis/D-A. Will probably go SSCs/Nemesis and Sprints/Bontys as the SSCs will see some action on some courses that the Bonty's might not hold up on.

Thanks again for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.