Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very new to road riding and got my very first full week in (mon-sun) on my bike. I feel really tired. I got 207 miles in for the week. Thats a lot for me. Is it normal to feel kinda sick? I'm having some heat flashes, nothing serious. I may be dehydrated. I feel like all I do is drink water all day long. I'm thinking about riding on Monday because the weather man is forecasting rain on Tues,Wed,Thurs, and maybe Friday. Should I just wait till Saturday and rest a week or will that set me back? If anyone has felt like this and knows any secrets please let me know. Thanks......Justin :D

·
Censored by *********
1,397 Posts
Justin,

You are overdoing it. 200 miles a week is something to work up to, not start out with. And if you're feeling sick, you should listen to your body.

It does sound like you're dehydrated. Remember, the body can only absorb fluids at a set rate, so even if you're drinking a lot you can still be dehydrated. Better to drink a little bit at regular intervals.

If you feel compelled to ride tomorrow (I know the feeling), try to force yourself to go really, really slowly. How slowly? Make it so that you feel almost no resistance on the pedals. If you have a heart rate monitor, you can set zones for yourself. Then it will be obvious if you're overdoing it. My max heart rate is 201 BPM. If I were trying to go really easy, I'd make sure I didn't exceed 140 going up hill and spend most of the time under 120.

There's no reason to push yourself to feeling sick, unless you're in a race.

Paul

mtnbikenc1979 said:
I'm very new to road riding and got my very first full week in (mon-sun) on my bike. I feel really tired. I got 207 miles in for the week. Thats a lot for me. Is it normal to feel kinda sick? I'm having some heat flashes, nothing serious. I may be dehydrated. I feel like all I do is drink water all day long. I'm thinking about riding on Monday because the weather man is forecasting rain on Tues,Wed,Thurs, and maybe Friday. Should I just wait till Saturday and rest a week or will that set me back? If anyone has felt like this and knows any secrets please let me know. Thanks......Justin :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul

purplepaul said:
Justin,

You are overdoing it. 200 miles a week is something to work up to, not start out with. And if you're feeling sick, you should listen to your body.

It does sound like you're dehydrated. Remember, the body can only absorb fluids at a set rate, so even if you're drinking a lot you can still be dehydrated. Better to drink a little bit at regular intervals.

If you feel compelled to ride tomorrow (I know the feeling), try to force yourself to go really, really slowly. How slowly? Make it so that you feel almost no resistance on the pedals. If you have a heart rate monitor, you can set zones for yourself. Then it will be obvious if you're overdoing it. My max heart rate is 201 BPM. If I were trying to go really easy, I'd make sure I didn't exceed 140 going up hill and spend most of the time under 120.

There's no reason to push yourself to feeling sick, unless you're in a race.

Paul
I'll just ride extra easy tommorow. I just feel like I don't ever wanna stop riding. Like I'm addicted or something. :confused:

·
Roadbikereview member
192 Posts
mtnbikenc1979 said:
200 mile is a lot for your 1st week, and if this is your 1st year of riding a roadbike, take it easy for a couple days. You do't want to burn yourself out too early, the riding season is young. If you need to ride, do some coffee breaks, take your time and enjoy the scenery or go ride your mt bike.

·
Charismatic Megafauna
547 Posts
Take it easy or else your body will *make* you.

That's some admirable weekly mileage. You've gotta remember though, that there are a lot of systems that need to be trained and if you overdo it too early, your body may just revolt and say "Enough!" (It's happened to me...in fact, I think it's happening to me now.)

There's your cardiovascular system, the capillarization in your muscles, your tendons and ligaments, your mental well being, plus all your contact points....All these need to be acclimated to volume.

I'm familiar with the hot flashes...they were usually accompanied by tossing and turning in bed as well. (And no, it's not "the change...") Other symptoms that I was overdoing it were irritability, the feeling that I just did *not* want to get my heart rate up, and lack of motivation combined with the anxiety of, "Oh my God, I'm so tired but if I don't get out to ride today I'll be Doomed! DOOMED!" Yeah, that's fun...

There's a reason virtually every training plan suggests increasing volume by about ten percent per week.

Chill dude! You don't want to be cooked by June.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You......

for your time and help. I really do try to listen to everyone who posts a reply. Every little bit helps. I'm felling a little bit better this morning and I'm going out to ride for just an hour today. I've noticed I'm starting to drop some body fat. I can see the definition in my bicep, tricep, delts, and my quads are getting huge. Thanks again for all your help. I'll ride slow today. ........Justin :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.