Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Yes, yes, I know ... there've been lots of tire threads, I should do a search. I did, and got endless hits.)

My question is: what would be my best choice (brand, model) for clincher tires for a dedicated rain bike ... the one I'll ride when it's raining when I start out, or almost certainly will sometime during the ride?

Wet-road traction is my primary concern. I'll be riding the same roads as in the dry, so nothing more severe than normal in that regard. Weight isn't an issue. I just want rubber under me that'll give me the best chance of not busting my a$$.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Vredestein for me

Allez Rouge said:
(Yes, yes, I know ... there've been lots of tire threads, I should do a search. I did, and got endless hits.)

My question is: what would be my best choice (brand, model) for clincher tires for a dedicated rain bike ... the one I'll ride when it's raining when I start out, or almost certainly will sometime during the ride?

Wet-road traction is my primary concern. I'll be riding the same roads as in the dry, so nothing more severe than normal in that regard. Weight isn't an issue. I just want rubber under me that'll give me the best chance of not busting my a$$.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!
I have a winter bike that gets extensive use with the Pacific NW weather. Unfortunately it has limited clearance for fenders as it has short chainstays. One of the only 700x23C tires that clears my fenders without rubbing is the Vredestein Fortezza or Fortezza TriComp, they have a slightly lower profile than say Michelin ProRace/2 or Conti GP3000/4000. I have been using them as winter tires for the past 3 seasons. The traction is great, I probably have more confidence in these tires than the Conti GP3000/4000 that I use on the non-winter bikes. In fact, when I race a criterium (and I don't race them much now that I'm "OLD") I prefer to use the Vredesteins as they corner exceptionally well. I have not ridden Veloflex Pave or Vittoria Open CX, both of which are reportedly excellent in terms of cornering, but from my experience the Vred Fortezzas are as good as it gets for wet/dry cornering.

In terms of flats, I have had good luck with the Vreds in the winter. No more or less flats than with other tires. The sidewalls are reasonably tough, but I have blown one out by hitting a rock. The all-time best for flat protection in the wet is the Specialized Armadillo, but they are heavy and ride like bricks. The only downside to using a light tire like the Vreds is that the mileage is not so great. I get 2500-3000 km on a rear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.