Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone offer some suggestions? I have been experiencing frequent flats and I am not sure how to figure out the cause. It seems like every other time I come back after a ride, I return to my bike the next day to find the tire flat. Mostly it is the rear tire. It is a Continental tire and rims that came with the bike. I use the standard tubes from Performance. I have been riding with pressure just under the maximum the tire allows (125 PSI or so.) I cannot find any rough spots on the rim and the rim tape is intact. Should I try replacing the rim tape? I really like riding with high pressure. Do they have tires that are better for high pressure?

It is getting a bit frustrating because I wanna roll and not mess around with flats. I understand it is a part of cycling, but I have had my practice with flat repairs. I just wanna ride.

I thank you in advance for your assist!

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
where's the hole?

You have to locate the hole in the tube, and then you can find out what's causing it. Are you just putting new tubes in, and not trying to find the puncture? If you do that you'll almost guarantee additional flats. You need to do the detective work.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
I had two this past weekend... :( One tip, make sure you put the writing on the tire right at the valve stem. This way, when you find the hole in the tube you'll know where to look extra closely on the tire for the cause.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
All great advice about finding where the hole is. The hole is either going to be on one side or the other, one side is the tire the other side is the rim tape. Replacing the rim tape doesn't do any good if the holes are on the tire side. To help find something sticking through the tire use a piece of pantyhose or stocking and rub it inside the tire to see if it catches on anything.

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
I had a set of tires that started getting flats as soon as I hit about 1500 miles. So I upgrade the basic tire to some nice Vittoria Rubino pros that had 120 threads per inch. Other tires have some kevlar woven in to greatly reduce flats. There are other measures you can take like Gatorskin (or something like) that which you line the tire with before you put in the tube. This is a possibility if you are riding through areas that have a lot of debrie.

I like these. I've put 3000 miles on them and not one flat.
http://www.vittoria.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8078&Itemid=116

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
There are a few possibilites here:

1) As others suggested, check the tire for glass or a pebble that worked its way through the tire.

2) Your tires might be garbage, i.e. they offer little resistance to debris that works its way through. Best flat-resistant tires I ever had were some cheapo low pressure kevlar belted Nashbar tires. Never had a puncture flat in the 7000+ miles I used them.

3) Your rim tape/rim strips might be garbage, or it was installed incorrectly. My dad had issues when a young wrench at the LBS used rim tape that was too narrow and left some rim holes slightly uncovered. It was puncture city until my dad returned to the LBS where the owner inspected the wheel and discovered the problem. Velox cloth rim tape is good stuff by the way.

4) Are you going over any major bumps when you get home? I had a problem with pinch flats caused by the lip of my driveway being too high due to shoddy work by the guys who did my new sidewalk. I'd go over the lip as I returned from a ride and find my tire flat the next morning. I solved that problem by not going over the lip of my driveway anymore.

5) Maybe you just have rotten luck. Another common source of next-morning flats for me is when the tube punctures where the valve stem joins the tube. A few were from not being careful when removing the pump head from the valve stem, but I don't know what caused the other tubes to fail in this manner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
An update:

I replaced the rim tape with Velox and still had the problem the next day. I noticed the tire was worn on the side wall. I replaced the tire with what will hopefully be a more puncture resistant model and adjusted the break pads away from the tire. It looked like they were lined up properly, but I moved 'em down just a pinch and they are still on the rim. This AM I rode with no flat. I am hoping I have solved my dilemma.

I appreciate everyone's help. I have posted previous questions here and always get the best help.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
where's the hole?

I ask again.

good luck.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
dnalevelc said:
adjusted the break pads away from the tire.
Meaning that possibly they were touching the tire when braking?? That would not be good, of course and may have something to do with worn sidewalls (although I would think it wouldn't take long to just cut right thru if this was the case - like first time out).

Sounds like you're on the right track but tell us where you got the hole even after putting in the new rim tape. If it's on the inside of the tube (part that touches the rim and the new tape), there's still a problem with something. If it's on the outside (next to the tire), maybe there's something in the tire. If you lined up the writing on the tire with the valve stem you'll know where to look extra-close at the tire when you find the leak in the tube.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Let me ask a few things.

First of all. Drop the pressure. Run it at 105-110. Unless your are uber-huge, this will be sufficient. Mark my words, THIS WILL BE SUFFICIENT

Second of all, check your valve stem hole for burrs. Run a file or a sandpaper through there. Its a common spot especially if you use the little nut to tighten it on the outside of the rim..

Thirdly, how adept do you feel that you are at changing a tube? Some tires are super tight when installing and sometimes if someone has a peculiar or improper technique... I could see this happening.

Fourthly, can you please examine the bead of your tires. Sometimes wire beaded tires and even normal folding tires can have some exposed material at the bead. This is often overlooked section of the tire.

Lastly. Are you keeping your bike in a hot car? Curious.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.