Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Tires..

904 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Fredke 
#1 ·
Anyone else shredded a tire on a Trainer...just did it the other day, Bought the bike in september, put on maybe 100 miles outside before it got too cold, I've been riding A LOT inside. I'm on a training program doing intervals and long steady state rides in order to get into shape for the spring. I've just never seen a tire shred like that. It was a mondo 700 x 23, standard issue......I put the other mondo from the front onto the back, and put a Michelin Pro2 Race on the front....Anyone else seen this on a trainer?

#2 ·
physasst said:
Anyone else shredded a tire on a Trainer...just did it the other day, Bought the bike in september, put on maybe 100 miles outside before it got too cold, I've been riding A LOT inside. I'm on a training program doing intervals and long steady state rides in order to get into shape for the spring. I've just never seen a tire shred like that. It was a mondo 700 x 23, standard issue......I put the other mondo from the front onto the back, and put a Michelin Pro2 Race on the front....Anyone else seen this on a trainer?
What do you mean by "shred"? Like one moment it was fine, the next it was fraying and had visiable damage? or it was worn out over time?

Anyways, is your tire slipping on the trainer contact roller thingymabob (technical term you know)? If it is, then it would make more sence.

#3 ·
Yep..

FTF said:
What do you mean by "shred"? Like one moment it was fine, the next it was fraying and had visiable damage? or it was worn out over time?

Anyways, is your tire slipping on the trainer contact roller thingymabob (technical term you know)? If it is, then it would make more sence.

It's not slipping that I can tell, but it gets real hot after riding......tire is usually pretty warm to the touch.....and yeah..it was fine one minute, then I kept feeling this "thud" as I was riding, the outer wall had completely split and shredded, but the inner table was still intact, albeit sticking out like a balloon, hence the thud.....

#4 ·
Trainers eat tyres alive. Heat transfer or lack thereof, is a big part of it.

Conti make a special "indoor trainer" tyre that I haven't used, but is supposed to be a very hard, durable compound that wouldn't do at all to ride outdoors but is excellent for trainer use. It gets decent reviews from the few that use it.

Most of us have a supply of "this tyre is garbage already and woudn't pass muster to ride on the road, so I'll ride it on a trainer until it explodes" tyres.

But I live in the pacific northwest, when it always rains but rarely freezes, and I'm masochistic enough to ride in 2 degree, rainy, windy weather rather than use a trainer...

#7 ·
Conti Trainer Tire

I am using the Conti Trainer tire and in my opinion it is excellent. I believe I will get 2-3 winter seasons out of it it seems that durable. It does not heat up like other tires and therefore should not wear nearly as quickly. I am very very happy with it so far. I ride the trainer 5-6 times per week between 1-2.5 hours daily.

power1369

#9 ·
diamondroad said:
It seems it makes sense to use a more durable tire on a trainer. Do people typically buy a second wheel to make it easy to switch to riding outside? If so, should the two wheels match?
I like to use a different (cheap) wheel on the trainer. I can leave a durable tyre on it and I can also like to put a straight-block casssette on my trainer wheel. No hills to climb, so no need for a 25T cog. The two wheels don't neet to "match" in the sense of being the same make or model, but you should match the dish on both wheels so you don't need to adjust your brakes when swapping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.