Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have NEVER needed tire levers in all my riding history untill I bought these.
The Neutron clincher wheel set.
Either I am getting weak in my old age or these rims have ZERO clearence?????
They are the hardest rim I've ever tried to put a tire on.

Yes, I've done a search on this topic and didn't have much luck.

I need to talk to people who own and use these wheels.

What tires are you using without levers?

I'm at the point where I want to sell these rims, what good are they if you can't change the tire?
Thanks for all who comment, that own these FRIGGIN' wheels.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
What tires are you using?

While I haven't used Campy wheels, I've found that compared to Contis, Vreds, and Michelin offerings, Maxxis Hors Categorie tires are a doddle. In fact, most 90 y.o. people in nursing homes could mount them. I don't know if the ease of mounting extends across the Maxxis tire range....or at least across the range of Maxxis tires w/ kevlar beads.

Damned fine tires, too.

However, should you just find that no matter the tire, mounting still stymies you, consider getting one of these. I gots one, and it works better than any levers (although, I don't use it anymore.)

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
alienator said:
However, should you just find that no matter the tire, mounting still stymies you, consider getting one of these. I gots one, and it works better than any levers (although, I don't use it anymore.)
I have one and use it but it rather filmsy... how bout that... they offer life time warranty...

At home I use a larger Park heavyduty shop lever (similar in idea to Crank Bros') which works great with Campy wheels.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wild Bill said:

I'm at the point where I want to sell these rims, what good are they if you can't change the tire?
Welcome to the world of Campagnolo wheels........I have Protons and believe me, I was astonished at first as to how tight of a fit my tires were. I use Continental Attack/Force and have to use tire levers to get the last few inches on the rim and still have blisters on a few fingers when done. It's pretty easy after you get the hang of it. Put 1-lever under as close to the final few inches as you can and than use another lever on the opposite side lifting and seating the tire. Just be careful of not pinching the tube. With a few tries it becomes second nature.

If you have a flat on the road....do what I do.....have a second set of cheap wheels at home and call your wife and have her bring either wheel to you if needed!!!!!!

best of luck

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
Wild Bill said:

Yep... been there and done that. They're a b!tch. I used Veloflex Pave tires with mine and the first mounting of a new tire equaled blistered thumbs even though I pre-stretching them as best as I could. It was so bad that there was a 50/50 chance I would snake bite the tube on the first attempt. Perhaps tubulars aren't so hard to deal with after all... ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
just put veloflex blacks on my new protons, was a bit of a struggle to be sure.

my wheelsmith tire levers were up to the job.

i persevered and won out...eventualy.

i know i have an innate knack for missing the obvious, so don't be suprised when i tell you i cannot metally picture exactly what the method is you describe here.

if you could please elaborate then maybe i could get it.

Bloatedpig said:
Welcome to the world of Campagnolo wheels........I have Protons and believe me, I was astonished at first as to how tight of a fit my tires were. I Put 1-lever under as close to the final few inches as you can and than use another lever on the opposite side lifting and seating the tire. Just be careful of not pinching the tube. With a few tries it becomes second nature.

If you have a flat on the road....do what I do.....have a second set of cheap wheels at home and call your wife and have her bring either wheel to you if needed!!!!!!

best of luck

·
Registered
131 Posts
Try Veloflex, Gommitalia or Vittoria

I have a couple of sets of Nucleons and Neutrons, with Veloflex Pave, Gommitalia Targa and Vittoria CX tires. I've never used tire levers to mount any of them. Granted, they're a bit of work when they're brand new and being mounted for the first time, but even then it's managable. After that, mounting or dismounting them without tools is a snap.

It must be technique, because it's not like I have strong hands. Heck, I often have trouble unscrewing jars. And it's never occurred to me to try stretching them before mounting.

Frankly, I have a much tougher time mounting up new tubulars on deep dish carbon rims, because the rim is so deep it's hard to stand on it to anchor it. A shallow box rim is much easier to work with.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Eurus owner.

Tires can be difficult although I still mount them by hand. My Eurus always amount in sore thumbs afterwards. I'm not big nor extremely strong and I think its just my technique. They do stretch after ridden so the first flat you have its a much easier process to unmount and remount the tire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Protons

I have used conti ultra 2000 with no problems - also have no problems with Vittoria rubino pros.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guy's and your stories.
I guess I'm not worthy then, to own Campy wheels!
Other rims I always put some air in the tube, put the tube in the tire, mount the tire with both bead at the same time. I have NEVER pinched a tube, NEVER!!!!
I have broke tire levers trying to mount them on these wheels!!!!
Right now th count is I have destroyed more tubes trying to mount tires on these rims than I have ever had a flat with!!!!
I have own a lot of wheels sets in my time and these as I said in my original post are the toughest I've owned.
You guy's that can mount a tire on these rims without tools,...........my hats off to ya.
You talk about technique, you'll have to explain this.
It is absolutely impossible for me?
No matter how good or nice these wheels are, there for sale and I'll never own a pair of Campy wheels again.
Thanks for your input into this matter.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
They are certainly a challenge with the first mount, but as the tire gets flexed by riding, I've found that they do get easier.

I won't bore you with the horror stories of the tubes I've pierced with the levers. I have 4 pairs of Campy wheels and while I love them for their quality, this problem is certainly annoying.

Best tires in my experience - Vredestein Fortezzas. I've had miserable luck with Veloflex (although I love those tires) and Conti Attack/Force/GP3000. The Fortezzas seem to be an easier tire in general.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
terry b said:
They are certainly a challenge with the first mount, but as the tire gets flexed by riding, I've found that they do get easier.

I won't bore you with the horror stories of the tubes I've pierced with the levers. I have 4 pairs of Campy wheels and while I love them for their quality, this problem is certainly annoying.

Best tires in my experience - Vredestein Fortezzas. I've had miserable luck with Veloflex (although I love those tires) and Conti Attack/Force/GP3000. The Fortezzas seem to be an easier tire in general.
I'll have to try these tires again, I use to rid ethem all the time but I was having trouble with cuts. They went right trough and the tire had to be tossed(I wont patch a tire). I lost three tire one year and that was too much money to throw away.
If these tires are easy to install on the Campy rims, then I'll give em another try.
thanks

·
Registered
131 Posts
technique

1. Install one side of tire. That should be no problem.
2. Lightly inflate tube, install. Again, no problem.
3. Deflate tube completely.
4. With the one bead you've already installed, work around the entire tire to make sure that bead is located in the central "well" of the rim all the way around. Easier to do if you have the original plastic rim strips than if you've replaced them with Velox, which is thicker.
5. Install remaining side of the tire. Start at stem, work outward in both directions. Yes, the last little bit is pretty tough. From all reports, probably impossible by hand with Michelins, but certainly doable with the tires I mentioned previously. It takes some determination, but don't give up. Go back, make sure installed bead is still centered. It can be done. Your thumbs will be a little sore.
6. Inflate tube to 40 psi or so, and make sure tire beads are fully seated.
7. Pump up, install and ride.

I do NOT have strong hands (or anything else. Lousy sprinter.) It is work to install a new tire. But once the tire has been on the rim and stretched a little, from there on out no more problems.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
As long as you're using a folding bead tire, try this.

Put them in your clothes dryer (assuming you have one) on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Then immediately mount them.

I'd rather have a tight tire than a loose one. I had some Hutchinson Carbon Comps that went on so easy (on both Mavic and Bontrager rims) that I was concerned.

Rightfully so, as it turned out. First ride they BOTH blew off the rim. Luckily, I was cruising on the flats and NOT screaming down some descent.

I'd be curious about anybody elses experience with Hutchinson clinchers.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
i recently bought a proton wheelset and experienced the same problem as most campy wheelset owners have, especially with michelin pro2 race tyres. i had to use a tyre lever the get the last 6+ inch of tyre bead to sit into the rim. i use Pedro tyre levers, which seem to be very gentle on the tube, rim tape and the rim.

how did i use the lever? i use it as leverage to slide the tyre bead into the rim. working your way from the bottom to the top per the wheelset instruction, you will come to a point where you have about 6" to 12" of very tight tyre bead sitting outside the rim. i place the tyre lever at about the mid point by hooking it inside the rim. at this point, the lever should be about perpendicular to the rim with the tyre bead sitting above the lever. use an upwards motion on the lever to move the tyre bead into the rim. you will probably need quite a bit of force to do that. it will feel like you're about the rip the tyre apart or pull apart the rim, and then suddenly there is this loud snapping sound and the tyre bead now sits in the rim. no, the tyre bead hasn't snapped. that's just the sound made by the rim/spokes when the tyre finally sits inside the rim.

it sounds brutal but it works. took me 30 minutes to figure out this technique. mounting the tyre on the remaing wheel took about 10 minutes (could have been quicker is TV wasn't such a distraction). the ride quality of the protons combined with the michelin pro2race were definitely well worth the effort. 236km on the wheelset/tyres so far and no puncture or cuts despite running on glass, branches etc.

boon

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
boon said:
i recently bought a proton wheelset and experienced the same problem as most campy wheelset owners have, especially with michelin pro2 race tyres. i had to use a tyre lever the get the last 6+ inch of tyre bead to sit into the rim. i use Pedro tyre levers, which seem to be very gentle on the tube, rim tape and the rim.

how did i use the lever? i use it as leverage to slide the tyre bead into the rim. working your way from the bottom to the top per the wheelset instruction, you will come to a point where you have about 6" to 12" of very tight tyre bead sitting outside the rim. i place the tyre lever at about the mid point by hooking it inside the rim. at this point, the lever should be about perpendicular to the rim with the tyre bead sitting above the lever. use an upwards motion on the lever to move the tyre bead into the rim. you will probably need quite a bit of force to do that. it will feel like you're about the rip the tyre apart or pull apart the rim, and then suddenly there is this loud snapping sound and the tyre bead now sits in the rim. no, the tyre bead hasn't snapped. that's just the sound made by the rim/spokes when the tyre finally sits inside the rim.

it sounds brutal but it works. took me 30 minutes to figure out this technique. mounting the tyre on the remaing wheel took about 10 minutes (could have been quicker is TV wasn't such a distraction). the ride quality of the protons combined with the michelin pro2race were definitely well worth the effort. 236km on the wheelset/tyres so far and no puncture or cuts despite running on glass, branches etc.

boon

I hate to ask, but how mant tire levers have you broke this way?
All these mounting tips are great if your home. What about on the road?????
I need a tire that will be "EASY" to change on the road and "NO" tire levers would be best because if you only have one extra tube you sure don't want to pinch it with a lever!!!!!

I have been riding for over 10 years and I do know how to change a flat tire at home and on the road.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
As I mentioned above, the 2nd time is easier. Plenty of problems mounting them the first time, never a problem changing them on the road. I think a pavement beating softens them up a bit. Or perhaps a few months at 120psi. Either way, you may still need levers, but it's not nearly as hard.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
Wild Bill said:
I hate to ask, but how mant tire levers have you broke this way?
All these mounting tips are great if your home. What about on the road????? [...]
None so far. the Pedro lever seems pretty bombproof and besides, I only use this method to mount a brand new tyre on a brand new campy rim.

my other wheelset, Alex AT400 (came with the bike), doesn't require any tools for mounting tyres but then again, it doesn't ride as nice as the campy. so to minimise the need to change tube mid-ride, perhaps use a tyre that has the best possible puncture protection.

boon

·
Registered
529 Posts
Second Vittoria

I did not have problem mounting my Vittoria's to my Campy wheels. I was able to mount both without using tire levers. I also found Gammaitalia's mount without too much effort.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts