Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, time to ask the time eternal cross question. If you had to run or have three different sets/sizes of cross tires-clinchers, Which ones would you choose, and why?

· More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
physasst said:
Okay, time to ask the time eternal cross question. If you had to run or have three different sets/sizes of cross tires-clinchers, Which ones would you choose, and why?
How about 3 sets of wheels ...

1) Clinchers: I'd have a set of Jets and Muds and swap out as conditions warrented -- for training only. If I had to stick with one set, I'd go Mud front and Jet rear.

2) Tubies: Knobbies. I'd get Dugast first choice. They are the shizit. I've never ridden them but the rep is steller acoss the board. I'm going to ride Tufo Flexus this year myself. 32mm. These are the workhorse race tires.

3) Tubies: File tread. I'd get these for (bone) dry conditions. I think Griffo makes a reasonably priced set that would be nice.

I'd want three sets for each of my bikes ... but since I'm not made of money, I now have 2 sets of tubies (one for each bike) and two sets of clinchers (one for each bike). I'll be mounting a set of Tufo Flexuses to each tubie wheelset and have a Mud-front/Excavader-rear combo on the clinchers for training.

To answer your question: Get a set of Muds and a set of Jets. You'll probably run the Muds most of the time.

· Registered
39 Posts
I be mostly running ......

1 set of Dugast Typhoons on GP4s - yes they are the absolute business and roll and corner beautifully. I used to use Flexus as well which would be a good alternative

1 set of Dugast Rhino on GP4s - the mud tread on these is comparable with the green michelin mud and they have the gorgeous feel of Dugast as well.

1 set of michelin mud green or michelin sprint green or vittoria xn pro file tread (incredible grip even in mud) depending on conditions on xero xr-1 clinchers.

They cover all eventualities for conditions here in NW England. The Dugasts are eye wateringly expensive but the typhoons seem quite hard wearing and the expense is definitely worth it for the feel and grip which are another level above anything I have ever ridden.

Have fun choosing.

· Hoopy Frood
706 Posts
Vredestein

Not attempting to hijack but I've been thinking about buying some Vredestein Premiatos for the upcoming season. Looks like it might be a good mud tire (instead of the tried-n-true Michelin).

Has anybody tried these? I like my Vred road tires but never used their cross tires.

For now, I'm stuck with clinchers so I'll use Bontragers or Jets for dry stuff and Premiatos or Muds for soupy stuff.

· Registered
128 Posts
I had good luck in dry/semi-wet conditions with Ritchey Speedmaxes.

Vittoria XG's were good in the wet: they had great grip in the mud, cleared OK, and had reasonable rolling resistance in the dry stuff. They may be an alternative to Michelin Muds or Tufo tubular/clinchers.

I ran both just under 50 psi. At ~150 lbs, I had no problems with pinch flats or rolling the tires.

As for a third tire: something cheap and durable with a wire bead for training on. Nokian Ravagozzis, Schwalbe CX, Hutchinsons, or something like that. Not fast or grippy enough to race on, but you won't feel so bad for wearing them out on pavement while riding to the park to do CX drills.

· Registered
2,229 Posts
I like the Vittoria wire bead el tigre for training and racing and the folable maxxis larsen. The Maxxis wears out a little faster on the road.

I don't really notice size much.

Get tires in the summer so you can mess with them before they start to get scarce.

I have not liked the conti twister of Nokian Rava something or the other, both tended to scare me when cornering.

· Registered
19 Posts
HELP: my tires for cross...do you think they are too skinny

I have a set of vitorria 28 by 700...i'd say they are more like a 32 if i was to actually measure--I did not do that, but they are well thicker then a set of standard road 28's. They are the tirge cross. They are green with little round nobs all over. They were cheap and I dug on the green, but they sure are small and already glued to my rims...advice?

Nancy

· Registered
839 Posts
physasst said:
Can somebody recommend as the third tire something that you ride in the off-season? I'm talking a commuter type clincher - something that's light and rolls fast on pavement, but is tough enough to survive curb jumping. Maybe even something that will take me on a double century in July?

· Registered
2,229 Posts
I have been using the new Specialized folding armadillo tire in a 23 c size, it is a very durable tire that rolls fairly nicely for a taining tire and is very flat resistent. The older style armadillos with the wire bead were flat proof garden hose tires suitable for winter training. Wire bead Continental tires are pretty decent in a 25 size. Avoid the super cheap tires, they tend to cut too quickly. A lot of people had the heavy duty Bontrager tire on the last ride I did and they all spoke highly of them, we have pretty tough conditions in the winter due to all the slag dumped on the roads, so tires tend to be an issue.

· Registered
839 Posts
What about fatter tires?

What about tires that are a little squishier? Are there any fast rolling 32c tires available that don't weigh a ton?

I'm trying to consolidate my bike collection - if this cyclocross bike lives up to it's billing, it should be good for the STP (Seattle to Portland) ride in July....

· Registered
355 Posts
Have you considered Ritchey SpeedMax's? I thought they rolled quite a bit quicker when compared to the Bontrager CX Jones or even the Michelin Jets.

· Registered
2,229 Posts
Any hard compound, non flexy tire will be slow, the old Armadillos are a good example of a flat proof but very slow tire. Once you get over a 25 size, you will have a slower rolling tire. For general road and light dirt road use a 25 is fine. If you need something to also use off road, I think some of the oher tires people suggested would be good, but you have to expect that anything in that size with a bit of a tread will be slower on the road to some degree. If you don't mind a little slow down, then go for the 32.

· Cyclocross fool
451 Posts
ChilliConCarnage said:
Can somebody recommend as the third tire something that you ride in the off-season? I'm talking a commuter type clincher - something that's light and rolls fast on pavement, but is tough enough to survive curb jumping. Maybe even something that will take me on a double century in July?
On my commuting wheels for my cross bike, I have a pair of Panaracer T-Serv 32mm tires. They actually measure about 28mm. I think they're like the Pasela line from Panaracer, with more flat protection. They say 'For Messenger Service' on them. I've found that nothing short of a staple will flat them, but they still ride much nicer than Armadillos, IMHO.

· Registered
839 Posts
bikenerd said:
They say 'For Messenger Service' on them.
That sounds like just the right tire for me - something a bike messenger would use. I'll try those out...

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Geax Reverts

like a semi slick with these curved side knobs. ride well on the road (you feel the knobs in the corners, careful) and then bunny hop right off the street onto dirt trails.I have them in 38's I think.

I may get a set of the Vittorias this off season, otherwise

good condition race tire. Grifos 32 or 34. Tufo Elite 34's. FAst clean course Tufo Prestige 30/32s. nasty course, lotsa rocks Tufo T-34s

· Registered
269 Posts
Tufo's

Tufo make their tubular clinchers in a diamond tread that rocks as a commuter/ go anywhere tire. I've been on mine for 2 1/2 years flat free oonce I gooped the inside with the Tufo sealant. They wear really well, too. The only downside would be a catastrophic slash. Our conditions don't have alot of sharp rocks to cut a tire, so I've ran them all over, even doing quite a bit of off road.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.