Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

The 48th rolling out of the Tirreno-Adriatico coast-to-coast road race kicks off on Wednesday, March 6th and the battle will be joined to see who comes away with the prestigious Trident Trophy.

Past winners returning to see if they can recaprure the Trident include defending TA Winner Vincenzo Nabali (Astana), Cadel Evans (BMC) and Fabian Cancelara (Radioshack Leopard Trek).

Challengers will include Cannondale's Moreno Moser and Pieter Sagan, fresh off of thier one-two win on the Strade Bianchi as well as Saxo-Tinkoff's Alberto Contador, who has yet to add a Trident to his trophy case.

Stages four and five look to be the keys to victory.

Startlists:
Tirreno - Adriatico 2013: Start List | Cyclingnews.com

Startlist Tirreno-Adriatico, Tirreno - Adriatico 2013 - CyclingFever - The International Cycling Social Network - Get the Cycling fever!

The Stages:

Stage 1) Wednesday, March 6 2013
San Vincenzo - Donoratico (TTT) 16.9 km

Stage 2) Thursday, March 7 2013
San Vincenzo - Indicatore 232 km

Stage 3) Friday, March 8 2013
Indicatore - Narni Scalo 190 km

Stage 4) Saturday, March 9 2013
Narni - Prati di Tivo 173 km

Stage 5) Sunday, March 10 2013
Ortona - Chieti 230 km

Stage 6) Monday, March 11 2013
Porto Sant'Elpidio 209 km

Stage 7) Tuesday, March 12 2013
San Benedetto del Tronto (ITT) 9.2 km

Course Profile:

Course Map:

About the race:

La Gazzetta dello Sport: Tirreno - Adriatico

Tirreno - Adriatico 2013: Past Winners & Race History | Cyclingnews.com

Dennis Set To Be Tested At Strade Bianche And Tirreno-Adriatico | Cyclingnews.com

MTN-Qhubeka Poised For WorldTour Debut | Cyclingnews.com

De Kort maakt rentree in Tirreno-Adriatico - AD.nl

BMC mikt op ploegentijdrit in Tirreno-Adriatico - HLN.be

Le parcours de Tirreno-Adriatico 2013 - Velochrono - Actu cyclisme, vidéos...

Legendens nevø er Italiens nye cykelhelt - Cykling

Can Phinney Change BMC's Fortunes In Tirreno - Adriatico TTT? | Cyclingnews.com

Nibali Wants To Leave A Mark On Tirreno-Adriatico | Cyclingnews.com

Slagter Hoping To Mix It With Top Riders At Tirreno-Adriatico | Cyclingnews.com

No Pressure On Garmin-Sharp To Win Tirreno-Adriatico TTT | Cyclingnews.com

Tirreno - Adriatico 2013: Preview | Cyclingnews.com

·
Mountain biker
315 Posts
Yes!

Sadly, not on NBC Sports Network. I find I don't like watching cycling on my 22" computer monitor, so I think I'll be switching to Direct TV once my Comcast contract ends.
Hook your computer up to your TV, that's what I do with my laptop.
It doesn't seem like it from the pics I've seen so far, but is there any kit acknowledgment for being the reigning TTT world champs?

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Stage One

San Vincenzo - Donoratico (TTT)

Rainy weather failed to put a damper on the World Champion Time Trialing Team of Omega Pharma-Quickstep, which easily put Mark Cavendish in the blue leader's jersey today.

1) Omega Pharma-Quick Step - 0:19:24

2) Movistar - 0:00:11

3) BMC - 0:00:16

4) Cannondale - 0:00:19

5) Astana - 0:00:20

6) Orica-GreenEdge - 0:00:24

7) Sky Procycling - 0:00:25

8) Team Saxo-Tinkoff - 0:00:29

9) Lampre-Merida - 0:00:35

10) RadioShack Leopard Trek - 0:00:36

Garmin-Sharp, a team usually associated with time trailing prowess finished almost a minute behind Omega Pharma-Quickstep. Movistar continues to show great team time trailing ability as they did in last year's Veulta. Dead last honors (22nd Place) - a position seemingly reserved for the likes of Saxo Tinkoff - went to Euskaltel-Euskadi - more than a minute behind the stage winners.

Tirreno - Adriatico 2013: Stage 1 Results | Cyclingnews.com

Cavendish: I've Found A New Motivation Again | Cyclingnews.com

Movistar Impresses With Second In The Tirreno-Adriatico Team Time Trial | Cyclingnews.com

Degenkolb With Dedicated Sprint Train At Tirreno-Adriatico | Cyclingnews.com

Tirreno-Adriatico TTT Creates First Time Gaps Amongst The Overall Contenders | Cyclingnews.com

Horner Back In Action At Tirreno-Adriatico | Cyclingnews.com

Stage Two, from San Vincenzo - Indicatore, is the longest of the race totaling 232 km. It features some nice climbs in the begining, but then quickly levels out so should favor a sprinter like Mark Cavendish.

Look for Omega Pharma-Quickstep to try to dictate the stage and for the non-sprinters to try thier luck in breakaways after the hills are past.

I'm picking the Manx Missle to win Stage Two of Tirreno-Adriatico as well.

View attachment 276761

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm getting English language coverage of Tirreno - Adriatico and some other races (Strade Blanche, and Roma Maxima) via a channel called "BeIn" on Comcast this year. I'm not sure if it is new, or I just never noticed it in the past. I found them via an auto-record on the DVR with the word "cycling."

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BeIn is on Time Warner as well, good coverage of Roma and Strada. Daniel Llyod did a good job im commentary. It seems they are covering the races Nbc Sports Network is not
IMHO - It's great the BeIn has picked up these races. But I have to disagree with the "good" commentary - that crew seem to make more identification mistakes than Phil and Paul - whose mistakes have reached legendary proportions (I refuse to use the word "Epic"). Llyod does a reasonable job of explaining the mentality of the peloton and it's tactics, but that's about the best I can say about the telecaste. Commercials are frequent, long, loud and repetitive - thank the cycling gods for DVR as I'm able to fast-forward through those.

Again, I'm glad that any station is broadcasting these races - but there is room for improvement.

·
Bone idle wanker
742 Posts
Paul Sherwen tweeted yesterday that NBCSports would not be broadcasting the Tour of Flanders. I wonder if this channel will be broadcasting it?

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul Sherwen tweeted yesterday that NBCSports would not be broadcasting the Tour of Flanders. I wonder if this channel will be broadcasting it?
I hope so as well. The Tour of Flanders is a great race - would be a pity not to be able to watch the ToF on TV this year. If I recall correctly, broadcasters seem to add races as the year progresses - probably a bargaining tactic to price down the distributor's asking price. We might yet see the ToF on an NBC affiliate.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Stage Two

San Vincenzo - Indicatore

Yet another soggy stage ended in Indicatore when Matt Goss (Orica-GreenEdge) took the stage win edgeing out his rivals in a bunch sprint, but Mark Cavendish, who came in 5th on the day, retains the blue leader's jersey.

For his efforts, Goss now will wear the Points Jersey during tomorrow's stage, the KOM jersey will be on the back of Garikoitz Bravo Oiarbide (Euskaltel-Euskadi) and the Best Young Rider will be Michal Kwiatkowski (Omega Pharma-Quickstep).

Cavendish's arch-rival Andre Griepel (Lotto-Belisol) came in 7th on the stage - so for now at least - Cavendish has the bragging rights. Still, Cav was irate - angry with his team for not making a better showing "We should be unbeatable" he said at a post-race conferrence and promised to have words with his teammates back at the hotel later.

Here's your current top ten on GC:

1) Mark Cavendish (Omega Pharma-Quickstep) 6:08:02

2) Michal Kwiatkowski (Omega Pharma-Quickstep) 0:00:02

3) Niki Terpstra (Omega Pharma-Quickstep) 0:00:03

4) Tony Martin (Omega Pharma-Quickstep)

5) Zdenek Stybar (Omega Pharma-Quickstep)

6) Giovanni Visconti (Movistar) 0:00:14

7) Alex Dowsett (Movistar)

8) Juan Jose Cobo Acebo (Movistar)

9) Benat Intxausti Elorriaga (Movistar)

10) Eros Capecchi (Movistar)

Tirreno - Adriatico 2013: Stage 2 Results | Cyclingnews.com

Goss All Smiles After First Win Of Season At Tirreno | Cyclingnews.com

Cavendish Criticizes Teammates After Losing Tirreno Sprint | Cyclingnews.com

Brian Holm: I Like It When Cavendish Speaks Out | Cyclingnews.com

Greipel Left Legless In Tirreno Sprint | Cyclingnews.com

So what of Stage Three?

Stage Three is a 190km ride from Indicatore - Narni Scalo. The first half of the stage starts out fairly flat but gets bumpier in the second half of the stage. However, those final hills do not look challenging enough to cause the sprinters to fall out the back so I'm expecting another bunch sprint unless a breakaway gets lucky.

After the lashing Cav's teammates are recieveing this evening, I expect them to carry him to victory tomorrow - even if he is reclined on a Louie the 14th loveseat!

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Hook your computer up to your TV, that's what I do with my laptop.
It doesn't seem like it from the pics I've seen so far, but is there any kit acknowledgment for being the reigning TTT world champs?
I have a 24x24x9" tower in the basement, so I won't be doing that (my wife would kill me!). Maybe next year I'll build an HTPC.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Stage Three - Results

Indicatore - Narni Scalo

Obviously, Peter Sagan (Cannondale) is not buying into Cav's beliefe that Omega Pharma-Quickstep are unbeatable. Sagan whipped Cav and Grip and the rest of sprinting royalty in the bunch sprint into Narni Scalo.

The top ten on the stage:

1) Peter Sagan (Cannondale)
2) Mark Cavendish (Omega Pharma-Quickstep)
3) André Greipel (Lotto Belisol)
4) Gerald Ciolek (MTN-Qhubeka)
5) Matt Goss (Orica-GreenEdge)
6) Davide Cimolai (Lampre-Merida)
7) Tyler Farrar (Garmin-Sharp)
8) Thor Hushovd (BMC)
9) Manuel Belletti (AG2R La Mondiale)
10) Simon Geschke (Argos-Shimano)

It is probably only a small consolation to Cav that he remains in the race leader's jersey after young Sagan took the veteran to sprint school, but here's the current GC:

1) Mark Cavendish (Omega Pharma-Quick Step)
2) Michal Kwiatkowski (Omega Pharma-Quickstep) 0:00:07
3) Niki Terpstra (Omega Pharma-Quickstep) 0:00:09
4) Tony Martin (Omega Pharma-Quickstep)
5) Zdenek Stybar (Omega Pharma-Quickstep)
6) Peter Sagan (Cannondale) 0:00:18
7) Alex Dowsett (Movistar) 0:00:20
8) Giovanni Visconti (Movistar)
9) Benat Intxausti Elorriaga (Movistar)
10) Juan Jose Cobo (Movistar)

Tirreno - Adriatico 2013: Stage 3 Results | Cyclingnews.com

Cavendish Upbeat Despite Being Beaten By Sagan | Cyclingnews.com

Sagan Savours His First Win Against Cavendish | Cyclingnews.com

Benedetti: Arbeiter auf dem Podium | radsport-news.com >> Profi-Radsport

Cyclisme - Tirreno - Sagan en puissance

Sagan tævede Cavendish og Greipel i spurten - Cykling

Sagan Wins as Sprint Battles Continue on Tirreno - Adriatico Stage 3 - Podium Cafe

Sagan gewinnt die nächste Regenschlacht | radsport-news.com >> Profi-Radsport

Stage Four: Narni-Prati di Tivo

Cav will lose his leader's jersey on this stage to a certain rider from Katusha.

Stage Four will be one for the climbers and concludes with a mountain-top finish which will favor Purito's chances - so I'll naturally tip Joaquím Rodríguez (Katusha) to win this stage.

But I suspect Nibali, Evans and Contador will be nipping at Purito's heels. The GC will be changed dramatically and Omega Pharma-Quickstep's impressive lock on the top five on GC will be irrevocably smashed.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Looking the Part

is there any kit acknowledgment for being the reigning TTT world champs?
Look closely at Quickstep's jersey. There is a small oval medallion on the upper left chest above the "Quickstep" with a UCI marking - that's it.

Here's another look - this time on Boonen's upper left chest.

You can also check out Quickstep's official web page header for a better look at the medallion itself:

Home | Omega Pharma - Quick-Step Pro Cycling Team

It is a bit understated - perhaps a rainbow jersey is in order?

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's it? They deserve more! Why was Tony Martin not wearing his ITT WC kit? I seem to remember seeing other national ITT champ kits in the TTT.
I would assume different rules apply when your talking about THE World Champ jersey - probably can only be worn in ITTs.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Obviously, Peter Sagan (Cannondale) is not buying into Cav's beliefe that Omega Pharma-Quickstep are unbeatable. Sagan whipped Cav and Grip and the rest of sprinting royalty in the bunch sprint into Narni Scalo.
Sagan is getting scary. When you can go shoulder to shoulder with Cavendish and beat him, you're pretty darned fast. Reading between the lines of the Cyclningnews report, it might be inferred that Cavendish was unwilling to lay it all on the line in this early-season race, but still...

I can't wait to see Sagan's results in Belgium. I think those races are made for him. He may make people forget all about Tommeke, Museeuw, et al.

JSR

·
Albert Owen
1,041 Posts
Sagan is a remarkable racer to be sure - a seriously fast all rounder who can sprint with the best of them.
On the other hand, today, Cavendish did not appear to be going anywhere near flat out......Why? I do not know for certain, but I suspect he was being ultra cautious in the wet conditions and he feared that he might get squeezed if he tried to pass Sagan in what was a diminishing space.No point fallin of at this stage of the season when there is very little at stake except for"bragging rights."

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.