Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone watching the stage right now?

Basso seems to be flying alright. He looks like he's having an easy time pulling out front for that matter! Man!!

Andreas Kloden looks to be suffering. Then again, he's always a tempo kinda climber and is always gonna struggle on the steeper climbs. Also, this is early in the season for him and Astana weren't focusing on this race as seen by their 'stronger' team for Paris-Nice instead of this one.

The big question I have though, is Fabian Cancellara - the commentators said he won this race last year. How so? I mean, won't the race be too hilly for him so how did he manage to do it?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I say Ivan Basso is definitely back and this year's Giro would probably be his to take with Nibali and Pellizotti as his chief lieutenants.

For the TdF, it should be really good this year.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bas said:
Lance Armstrong will have a few words to say about that!
Honestly, I'm a fan and I hope he could win it. But, that Basso sure looks to be in good shape from today's stage man!!

He was smiling all the way and looks to be having a great day at 140miles + of riding today too.

I wish Contador would defend his Maglia Rosa actually but I suppose he's not keen on that.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
uzziefly said:
Honestly, I'm a fan and I hope he could win it. But, that Basso sure looks to be in good shape from today's stage man!!

He was smiling all the way and looks to be having a great day at 140miles + of riding today too.

I wish Contador would defend his Maglia Rosa actually but I suppose he's not keen on that.
Eurosport had plugged Lance on coming for the Giro during the audio after the stage today :thumbsup:

It's going to be a great race this year. Too bad Ricco and Piepoli had to cheat..

Is Cunego in the line up?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I watched the last 30 km or so. Special thanks to cyclingfans.com for posting the like to the excellent RAI tv coverage. I only understand 10% of what those Italian commentators are saying, but they sound great. ("Bravissimo Egoi!" -- when Egoi Martinez almost ate it on a descent but managed to hold his balance on the grass.)

The second Astana debacle in one week. Only Maxim Iglinsky in the front to pull the blue jersey (Kloeden) to try to catch the escapees. Result: Kloeden loses the GC to Scarponi.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
uzziefly said:
Is anyone watching the stage right now?

Basso seems to be flying alright. He looks like he's having an easy time pulling out front for that matter! Man!!

Andreas Kloden looks to be suffering. Then again, he's always a tempo kinda climber and is always gonna struggle on the steeper climbs. Also, this is early in the season for him and Astana weren't focusing on this race as seen by their 'stronger' team for Paris-Nice instead of this one.

The big question I have though, is Fabian Cancellara - the commentators said he won this race last year. How so? I mean, won't the race be too hilly for him so how did he manage to do it?
I saw the race last year and basically, Cancellara won it at the time trial. He minimized the damage during the climbs.
The stats must still be up at cyclingnews. Check them out.

Even though in March 2008, FC won the Monte-Paschi Eroica, Tirreno Adriatico and Milan-San Remo, he had lost some of that energy for Flanders and Roubaix.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
fornaca68 said:
I watched the last 30 km or so. Special thanks to cyclingfans.com for posting the like to the excellent RAI tv coverage. I only understand 10% of what those Italian commentators are saying, but they sound great. ("Bravissimo Egoi!" -- when Egoi Martinez almost ate it on a descent but managed to hold his balance on the grass.)

The second Astana debacle in one week. Only Maxim Iglinsky in the front to pull the blue jersey (Kloeden) to try to catch the escapees. Result: Kloeden loses the GC to Scarponi.
turn down the volume and get a live english feed.

or use one of those dual setups.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MG537 said:
I saw the race last year and basically, Cancellara won it at the time trial. He minimized the damage during the climbs.
The stats must still be up at cyclingnews. Check them out.

Even though in March 2008, FC won the Monte-Paschi Eroica, Tirreno Adriatico and Milan-San Remo, he had lost some of that energy for Flanders and Roubaix.
Hmm, thanks. I'll have to dig it up. Was the field not very strong as well maybe?

I mean, to win it on the TT and limit his losses, the field has had to have some riders who are racing for the first time in the year and hence, not at peak fitness. Also, I would say the climbers there must have sucked at the TT by THAT much for them to not be able to pull enough time over Fabian on the climbs.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fornaca68 said:

Erm... Astana CLEARLY focused on Paris-Nice actually in case you didn't really notice as they sent their 'bigger guns' there instead of here.

Also, their initial plan was to get Adreas Kloden and Levi Leipheimer at Paris-Nice too but Levi's injury caused a change of plans. And perhaps, the injury Tomas Vaitkus suffered as well.

Also, Johan has admitted that Astana had struggled a little bit to read the race well enough but he also mentioned it's still early on in the season and his riders are getting into shape so that's not a problem.

·
Quadrogenarian
316 Posts
uzziefly said:
Erm... Astana CLEARLY focused on Paris-Nice actually in case you didn't really notice as they sent their 'bigger guns' there instead of here.

Also, their initial plan was to get Adreas Kloden and Levi Leipheimer at Paris-Nice too but Levi's injury caused a change of plans. And perhaps, the injury Tomas Vaitkus suffered as well.

Also, Johan has admitted that Astana had struggled a little bit to read the race well enough but he also mentioned it's still early on in the season and his riders are getting into shape so that's not a problem.
It's still gotta hurt to lose leader's jerseys in big races on successive days. While the "it's early in the season and we're still getting into shape" argument is the company line, I don't buy it. P-N and T-A are legitimate races, not training rides, and they should have come to win - I think they did, but blew it with tactical blunders.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SRV said:
It's still gotta hurt to lose leader's jerseys in big races on successive days. While the "it's early in the season and we're still getting into shape" argument is the company line, I don't buy it. P-N and T-A are legitimate races, not training rides, and they should have come to win - I think they did, but blew it with tactical blunders.
P-N : Yes. Alberto made a big dumb blunder of thinking he was feeling too great that he didn't need to stock up on fuel.

T-A: With the team they sent, I doubt they went in with the full intention to win. They wanted to if possible, but it clearly wasn't their goal, as further emphasized by Johan stating that Andreas and Levi were supposed to be at Paris-Nice initially. That's their goal.

They would gladly take a win at Tirreno but it clearly wasn't their main aim.

Paris-Nice, well, like I said, Alberto made a mistake. But, I also think his lieutenants weren't in great shape as well as can be seen by their lack of ability to keep up with him too perhaps. They wanted it, but, Alberto blundered and additionally, other teams managed to capitalize on it as well.

I'm waiting for the Giro, albeit, I don't know if Lance can pull of the win honestly. I do think that he'd most definitely have men with him all the way though. It's now a question of whether Lance Armstrong is strong enough IMO. If he is, then he'd place well and have a great support team. If not, then well, he'd still have great support but of not much use maybe.

·
Quadrogenarian
316 Posts
uzziefly said:
They would gladly take a win at Tirreno but it clearly wasn't their main aim.
See, that's what I don't believe. Kloden won the thing in 2007, so why wouldn't they go there with a plan to win? If they didn't go to win, when does Kloden get to eat a few crumbs that fall off the egde of the table?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SRV said:
See, that's what I don't believe. Kloden won the thing in 2007, so why wouldn't they go there with a plan to win? If they didn't go to win, when does Kloden get to eat a few crumbs that fall off the egde of the table?
Look at their team. Compare that to Paris-Nice.

That about says it.

With Kloden as the biggest gun and Iglinsky as his chief support, it's hardly much of an intent to win IMO.

They'd have put a couple more strong riders if they wanted that.

But, some others like Vaitkus (for the flats) are heading to M S R with Lance as well.

I'd also like to add that Kloden was nowhere strong enough to cover the attack or even go on his own as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts