Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,465 Posts
Schick X-treme 3. Works great and isn't pink :)

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
A few things...

1. Trim the excess hair with clippers/scissors before you shave. Cuts down the mess big time.
2. Use shave gel (Skintimate, King of Shaves, etc.) - this will cut down on irritation
3. Use a fresh razor (I use Mach 3) and don't apply too much pressure, this will cause irritation. Shaving 'against the grain' will give a cloiser shave but will potentially result in shave bumps - your choice on the direction (with or against the hair), usually thigh hair grows in all kinds of directions.
4. There will be a period of time where you will have shave bumps/ingrown hairs until your skin 'toughens up'. A trick I learned from my wife is to use a loofah (sp?) to exfoliate the dead skin and then use alcohol wipes to dry out the bumps. Stings a bit, but this will clean your legs up pretty quickly.
5. The more you shave, the tougher the skin gets.

Prepare for some discomfort after the initial shaving, but it will calm down if you treat it properly.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Use lotion on your leg before you apply the shaving creme. The razor will glide over your skin with less nicks and cuts.

Geez! Sharing leg shaving tips with a bunch of guys and we wonder why ******** yell out their trucks at us.

·
Administrator
13,070 Posts
A good trimmer can do 90% of your work for you. Scrub all the dead skin off your legs (use your wife's scrubby thing). Use a decent shaving cream and a fresh pivoting head, 3 blade razor is key as well. Put some lotion on your poor legs once your done.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Couple more...

Shave against the grain for closeness. Shave up on your shins and calves. The hair grows down in that area so you be nice and smooth. The thigh and hammy is different. The hair grows in all different directions. It takes multiple passes in different directions to get all of it. Be gentle around the knees and ankles to avoid cuts.

Keep in mind, everyone is different. I have a spare fascial razer (Mach Turbo or something) that I keep in the shower. I apply shampoo and shave. No shaving cream for me. I shave just once a week.

Liberal amounts of moisturizing lotion afterwards depending on skin and climate.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As someone said, different things for different people...

benja15 said:
What works best for you?
When I started, I found that it irritated my legs a lot. However, once I got in the hang of it, it was fine. The lower legs (below the knee) are really easy, hard to cut actually. Your knee...be very careful, my knees are the most common places to get cut. Perhaps a Stiptic (sp?) pencil would help, supposed to stop the bleeding on razor cuts.

I use shaving cream right now, a cheap disposable (used to use a Mach 3, I see no difference). Mine have the pivoting head and two blades. Anyways, I use that and some shaving cream, no problem. Definitely use lotion afterwards or you will pay.

I'm going to try the loofah (again sp?) thing, see how that works. I've found that the upper part is the most sensitive.

Well, good luck! You will get used to it.

...Thinking about it, kind of funny sharing leg shaving tips to guys. Eh, I like my legs shaved, I don't like them with hair anymore, just looks strange to me.

And the girlies love 'em!

KRider

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
These guys are right on....

Exfoliating is the key.... a new loofa (one per season) should suffice. In a shower with regular soap scrub them nice and hard.

Do NOT use regular rubbing alcohol, it is actually a pore clogger. I would actually suggest something like an astringent with salycitic acid (is that spelled right). It works awesome and you dont need a lot. It will sting a bit, but once it dries, put on a lotion that is preferably without color or fragrance.

Then, the next three or four days, exfoliate in the showers like normal, and then immediately after the shower, while your legs are still moist, put on the lotion. This will trap some of the moisture under the lotion.

Then, the next time you shave repeat with the astringent... etc, but exfoliate every day and the mach 3 is a freaking godsend. You can even use the blades that are no longer sharp enough for your face. I do not use shaving cream on my legs, in fact... I use hair conditioner. For whatever reason it works better for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dang, that's a good idea!

funknuggets said:
Exfoliating is the key.... a new loofa (one per season) should suffice. In a shower with regular soap scrub them nice and hard.

Do NOT use regular rubbing alcohol, it is actually a pore clogger. I would actually suggest something like an astringent with salycitic acid (is that spelled right). It works awesome and you dont need a lot. It will sting a bit, but once it dries, put on a lotion that is preferably without color or fragrance.

Then, the next three or four days, exfoliate in the showers like normal, and then immediately after the shower, while your legs are still moist, put on the lotion. This will trap some of the moisture under the lotion.

Then, the next time you shave repeat with the astringent... etc, but exfoliate every day and the mach 3 is a freaking godsend. You can even use the blades that are no longer sharp enough for your face. I do not use shaving cream on my legs, in fact... I use hair conditioner. For whatever reason it works better for me.

Think I'll be trying that...only thing that gets me about the Mach 3 is the price for replacement blades...oh well, bite the bullet eh?

KRider

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Be a Man - Straight Razor

For the initial shearing this season I used a straight blade that used to be my Dad's. Now it did take a little while as I was being extra careful and I used the Mach 3 for my knees. The straight blade took off the winter growth without clogging, just wiped it down every few strokes. Be sure it is sharp. Use paper towels to wipe of hair rather than the wife's guest towels or you may find her using the straight razor another way.

Plan to switch to the Mach 3 for maintenance. By the way, buy the disposables, they are often cheaper than the replacement blades.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Whew, straight razor...You've got guts!

Keeping up with Junior said:
For the initial shearing this season I used a straight blade that used to be my Dad's. Now it did take a little while as I was being extra careful and I used the Mach 3 for my knees. The straight blade took off the winter growth without clogging, just wiped it down every few strokes. Be sure it is sharp. Use paper towels to wipe of hair rather than the wife's guest towels or you may find her using the straight razor another way.

Plan to switch to the Mach 3 for maintenance. By the way, buy the disposables, they are often cheaper than the replacement blades.
lol...no, really, I guess if you are careful about it, that would work better than a regular razor (clogging).

I loved my Mach 3, just the blades are expensive as hell. Course, I can justify a multi thousand dollar road bike, just not $10 for a set of razor blades.

Anyways, good tips!

KRider

·
Registered
154 Posts
take your time

My legs are sensitive and I'm prone to razor burn ... youch. can't believe the talk about Nair!

I start by clipping with a set of electric shears. Take the hair down as close to the skin as the shears will go. Then, I take a hot shower to open up the pores, follices and whatnot.

I then lather up with a good amount of shave cream. I always use a fresh blade and shave with the direction of hair growth. Rinse the blade often and be liberal with the amount of shave cream you use. Very important: take your time. Particulalry around the knees, ankles, achilles tendon.

After, rub in a copious amount of a good lotion. Later, rub in more lotion.

The first time, it's going to feel weird. You get used to it, eventually.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.