Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
I don't know. I think Neil needed more cowbell... though I honestly don't know where he'd put it. :)

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Speaking of Canadian bands, I watched the live broadcast of the Tragically Hip's final concert from their hometown in Kingston, ON. Saturday night. (For those who don't know, lead singer Gord Downie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer earlier this year and instead of sitting at home feeling sorry for himself decided to take the band on the road for one final tour while he was still able to.) It was an incredible performance. Gord left every bit of himself on the stage that night. He let it all out during the performance of Grace, Too during the second encore. It was a display of raw emotion like I've never seen on a stage before. Knowing that, barring some sort of miracle, this was his final tour with the band he's been with for 32 years (all original members for the band's entire existence) and what he's facing in the future made it a bit difficult not to be sad but I'm really glad I watched it.

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,796 Posts
I attended the final R40 performance at the LA Forum. When Neil actually took a final bow with Alex and Geddy instead of normally running off backstage, it had a sense of finality to Rush as a touring band.

One of their best final songs is The Garden from Clockwork Angels.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Speaking of Canadian bands, I watched the live broadcast of the Tragically Hip's final concert from their hometown in Kingston, ON. Saturday night. (For those who don't know, lead singer Gord Downie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer earlier this year and instead of sitting at home feeling sorry for himself decided to take the band on the road for one final tour while he was still able to.) It was an incredible performance. Gord left every bit of himself on the stage that night. He let it all out during the performance of Grace, Too during the second encore. It was a display of raw emotion like I've never seen on a stage before. Knowing that, barring some sort of miracle, this was his final tour with the band he's been with for 32 years (all original members for the band's entire existence) and what he's facing in the future made it a bit difficult not to be sad but I'm really glad I watched it.
Great band, sad news about Gord.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Speaking of Canadian bands, I watched the live broadcast of the Tragically Hip's final concert from their hometown in Kingston, ON...
saw them at stubb's in austin back in '02 or so. good show.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
love the song, subdivisions. i know geddy and alex grew up in the burbs. i assume neil did too.

Sprawling on the fringes of the city
In geometric order
An insulated border
In-between the bright lights
And the far, unlit unknown

Growing up, it all seems so one-sided
Opinions all provided
The future pre-decided
Detached and subdivided
In the mass-production zone

Nowhere is the dreamer
Or the misfit so alone

Subdivisions
In the high school halls
In the shopping malls
Conform or be cast out!
Subdivisions
In the basement bars
In the backs of cars
Be cool or be cast out!

Any escape might help to smooth
The unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
The restless dreams of youth

Drawn like moths, we drift into the city
The timeless old attraction
Cruising for the action
Lit up like a firefly
Just to feel the living night

Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight

Somewhere out of a memory
Of lighted streets on quiet nights

Subdivisions
In the high school halls
In the shopping malls
Conform or be cast out!
Subdivisions
In the basement bars
In the backs of cars
Be cool or be cast out!

Any escape might help to smooth
The unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
The restless dreams of youth

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i can still remember the first time i was really exposed to rush and fell in love immediately.

it was a 6th grade birthday party, and we were playing pool in the bday boy's den. on his parent's big console record player was spinning moving pictures. i had never really heard music like that before. we listened to it over and over.

hemispheres is probably my favorite album. i'm very much stuck in the '70s ... with my bikes too. B^)

la villa strangiato live in '79

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, I play Clockwork Anges around 4-5 am ....The Garden....yep^^^ I might just pizz of my neighbors tomorrow..

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
So little band members making SO much music!

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I attended the final R40 performance at the LA Forum. When Neil actually took a final bow with Alex and Geddy instead of normally running off backstage, it had a sense of finality to Rush as a touring band.

One of their best final songs is The Garden from Clockwork Angels.
Wow!

You saw live one of only three times they played Losing It, on my favorites.

Saw them on R40 as well, but not in LA.

First time I saw Rush was 1984, Grace Under Pressure, Irvine Meadows. I was 14, blew me away.

Saw them on every tour but for Test for Echo since then.

Great band.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Love Rush, one of Canadian's top bands.

I first saw them in Kingston Ontario in 1978. I was right beside one of their speakers, I don't think I could hear for days after that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts