Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with these things? Just learned about them from the recent Friction Facts report.
I try to avoid riding in dirty conditions as much as possible, but it seems these wheels will outlast several sets of Campy SR jockey wheels and outperform them along the way.
Also wondering how loud they are and how much they affect shifting performance.
Thanks!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,673 Posts
Anyone have experience with these things? Just learned about them from the recent Friction Facts report.
I try to avoid riding in dirty conditions as much as possible, but it seems these wheels will outlast several sets of Campy SR jockey wheels and outperform them along the way.
Thanks!
$200.00 on eBay all day long...are you out of your mind? there is no way they'll improve shifting in any way. i promise you they'll be noisier.

oh, you can get them in colors. totally worth it.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It's kind of interesting what Lennard Zinn on Velo News had to say about running these on his cross bike. Open ball bearings with no seals and no lube spin true and freely after a year of use in dirt and mud. Evidently, the supper hard balls and races just smash anything that gets into them into fine powder without suffering wear themselves.

·
Registered
21,727 Posts
it seems these wheels will outlast several sets of Campy SR jockey wheels and outperform them along the way.
Given that I have regularly gotten 50,000 and more miles from Campy pulleys it "seems" you have bought the marketing hype hook, line, and sinker. As to their effect on shifting performance that would be zero. Don't believe the hype.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So where's the love for a brother trying to rationalize some bike bling?
You guys are no help at all....

But seriously --
That Zinn/Friction Facts article was what started me thinking.
That and the somewhat mediocre performance from the Campy SR pulleys.
And why is Zinn using these anyway? I guess it makes some sense on a cross bike.
Would still appreciate the input of someone with real world experience with these things.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
OP, I saw on another thread where you mentioned you get 75-100 miles out of a lube job before your chain makes noise. And here I see you avoid dirty conditions (which presumably includes rain) so that's a problem and it ain't the quality of your jockey wheels unless they are really old and just shot.

Possibilities:

-Your lube technique might be really bad.
-You might need a new cassette, chain and or chain rings.
-It could have something to do with the jockey wheels but not their quailty (again, unless they are just really old and shot). Take them off and clean an insure they spin okay. Look at the teeth if they are really pointy they are done.
-You might just need an adjustment.
-Might need to clean and lube, or replace, cables and housings (for shifting quality, not noise). Check for junk at friction points.
-You could have a bent derailleur hanger.
-For shimano you could have the chain on backwards or be using an incompatible chain (9 speed chain for 10 speed drive train for example). I don't know if either of these is possible for campy though.

Some impossibilities:
-You need higher end jockey wheels.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Just go buy the pulleys. Obviously everyone is so wrong in using sheer logic and basic engineering principles to draw the conclusion there's nothing to gain. I mean, we all know how next to useless those SR pulleys are. Losing all those watts, all those stop light races. Can't let Mr. Pinarello and Mr. Litespeed beat you. Show them all.

You can't defy the awesome VeloNews. Zinn milking rolling resistance and lube for his recent articles. That very positive Mavic carbon clincher review coming right after an article discussing how bad carbon clinchers are. Only they know what's-what, and they know you should buy those pulleys to save your life.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Possibilities:
-Your lube technique might be really bad.
-You might need a new cassette, chain and or chain rings.
-It could have something to do with the jockey wheels but not their quailty (again, unless they are just really old and shot). Take them off and clean an insure they spin okay. Look at the teeth if they are really pointy they are done.
-You might just need an adjustment.
-Might need to clean and lube, or replace, cables and housings (for shifting quality, not noise). Check for junk at friction points.
-You could have a bent derailleur hanger.
-For shimano you could have the chain on backwards or be using an incompatible chain (9 speed chain for 10 speed drive train for example). I don't know if either of these is possible for campy though.

Some impossibilities:
-You need higher end jockey wheels.
Appreciate the input Jay.
I do all my own wrenching and the bike has been OBSESSIVELY tweaked and optimized. My lube technique is fine thanks. The bike already has a pretty new cassette and the chainrings look quite new. The chain is brand new and nondirectional. The RD shifts beautifully -- can't imagine it shifting any better. The hanger is solid 6/4 titanium -- can't imagine that it's bent, but the shifting quality is a nonfactor anyway. Cables are clean.
The lower jockey wheel is getting worn though (teeth getting pointy), so I am starting to think about a replacement. I want to replace/service it as infrequently as possible. Hence I'm looking at metal wheels instead of the usual delrin.
I've already put about $8500 into the bike, so $200 for jockey wheels isn't a factor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ventruck, who pissed in your Cheerios this morning?
Jeez. Take it easy man. It's just a hobby, not brain surgery.

Addendum -- Well, a hobby for probably >85% of the people who frequent this forum.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
Tiso makes titanium ceramic jockey wheels too.
They're $229.99 so they're probably better.
The problem is that they're heavier than the ceramic ones.

It's a tough call.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Why not get the friction facts report mentioned in the VN article and find out which pulleys perform best?
I know they have done chains and lubes recently and maybe other components for friction losses. Add them all up and you may talking 10 watts or so. That could make a difference.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.