Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a threaded Cinelli Grammo stem. Do I tighten to same or less torque as a non-titanium bolt for the expander bolt?

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Same

samh said:
I have a threaded Cinelli Grammo stem. Do I tighten to same or less torque as a non-titanium bolt for the expander bolt?
If the only difference is the bolt, then it's the same torque. If the bolt is a different size or the stem is a different design, then all bets are off and you need to get the manufacturer's recommendation.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Bolt is aluminum

samh said:
I had a couple of Cinelli Grammo Ti stems "back in the day". I am pretty sure the expander wedge bolt is Zicral alloy (aluminum). I just torqued it down like any other expander bolt, which for me means without a torque wrench. I just used my trusty Bondhus 6mm allen wrench, that has a handle of ~ 15 cm.

A Grammo-related tip: be sure to use a lot of grease/anti-seize on the handlebar clamp bolt with this stem. The bolt tends to gall in the Ti threads and Ti collar that houses it. This will give you a false sense of tightness and then the bars will slip.

If the stem is new to you, be aware that there were 26.4 and 26.0 bar clamp versions out there. The clamp diameter should be stamped on the quill.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Aluminum and anti-seize

Kerry Irons said:
If the only difference is the bolt, then it's the same torque. If the bolt is a different size or the stem is a different design, then all bets are off and you need to get the manufacturer's recommendation.
Like Kerry says, it is the same application, so it is the same torque. But keep in mind that properly lubrication/anti-seize is even more important with aluminum fasteners than with other metals. Unlubricated aluminim is prone to galling, so slather a lot of anti-seize on all the contact points before torquing it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts