Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on which one?

My current ride is a steel 853 compact Schwinn (super sport gtx) shimano 105, Neuvations R28 SL3 (1540g) that i've been riding for 8 years. I'm 5'71/2 and 160 pounds.

I do feel that the Siena is a stiff bike just by design. But is bargain titanium ok or still too soft? I never rode Ti and it is almost impossible for me to demo one. I'm aware that the difference is mostly in the tube shapes and geometry because they all are 3.5Al 2v.

Siena is Ultegra with Fulcrum racing 7 wheels: $4000

Everti: $1600 (Frame)

Motobecane with Ultegra and basic Ritcheys is $1700(!)

The best geometry would be the Siena and Motobecane, the Everti being a tad short.

What i'm looking for is something snappier(read faster) and lighter than my Schwinn, should not be hard with the 41.5 paper thin chainstays and skinny tubes. The Neuvations are great, not harsh.

I ride very bad hilly roads so a full on race bike might be a bit too much, hence the titanium interest.

thanks

· Registered
1,158 Posts
There's lots of Everti around here, because the company is just up the road in Duncan, BC. They seem to be awesome bikes. I've never heard anyone complain about them, and the LBS that sells the frames says that the quality has gone up since production was shifted from Russia to China a couple of years ago.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sight unseen?

Schwinn carbon? Not a fan but they are a good value for sure. I'd like to change brands tough.

The problem is I'm north of Montreal(hills, not mountains by BC standards) and I have yet to spot my first Everti, let alone a Motobecane.

I did see a Siena at a dealer, an amazing bike, but 1900grams wheels on a 4k bicycle?

I did not see a single titanium rig in all of last year: it's all carbon or aluminium. Cant even get feedback from a local.

I dont see myself on a harsh carbon or alu but still want to go up a few notches in performance and down a few in weight.

· Registered
2 Posts
I live in Miami Florida and have recently purchased an Everti Titanium frame, built it up with SRAM RED components. The frame is beautiful, has high quality welds and is stiff but comfortable at the same time. I highly recommend getting an Everti.

· Registered
11 Posts
Litespeed Siena

I have a thousand miles on 2008 Litespeed Siena. It's a great bike; very solid, excellent craftsmanship, superb handling, and extremely good looks. Immediately after delivery I swapped the Fulcrum 7's for a set of Easton EA90 SL's. At six one and 220 pounds, I selected the frame/wheel setup after considering a lot of carbon bikes in the context of my size, weight and lifetime value. The deal worked out cheaper for me to take the stock Fulcrums and replace them on my own with the Eastons. Last week I swapped the Aspide saddle for a San Marco Rolls (I have over 25,000 miles on Rolls saddles) and the now Siena rides like a Five Series BMW.

· Registered
464 Posts
bigtea said:
I have a thousand miles on 2008 Litespeed Siena. It's a great bike; very solid, excellent craftsmanship, superb handling, and extremely good looks. Immediately after delivery I swapped the Fulcrum 7's for a set of Easton EA90 SL's. At six one and 220 pounds, I selected the frame/wheel setup after considering a lot of carbon bikes in the context of my size, weight and lifetime value. The deal worked out cheaper for me to take the stock Fulcrums and replace them on my own with the Eastons. Last week I swapped the Aspide saddle for a San Marco Rolls (I have over 25,000 miles on Rolls saddles) and the now Siena rides like a Five Series BMW.
I've ridden a Litespeed Siena for about 2,000-miles with about half of them on a Brooks B17 saddle. I couldn't find a black one with Ti rails, so I settled for the Honey color. It has been a conversation piece actually as it draws attention. The Siena is a very nice riding bike, comfortable upright position with a deep bottom bracket. The Brooks B17 saddle added to the ride satisfaction.

BTW, I'm selling my Siena frame/fork on eBay right now because I just bought a Serotta travel bike frame with nearly the same dimensions as my Siena. I hope it rides as well because I dropped a Pile-O-Ca$h for it since I've got a terrible travel itch these days.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
now that's the question

Again tahnk s to all,

Sorry, it's 3-2.5, not 3.5-2.

The thing that worries me most is the geometry- tube shapes on these bikes.

How is a classic Seven or Merlin stiffer with round tubes and a, say "taiwan" ti with shapes tubes, a less perfomance bike?

Plus i do not want to make a geometry mistake so my 53cm TT has to go a bit longer and since i use about 30mm os spacers a longet HT sounds ok too.

So: is a Siena going to feel like a BMW series5 to me(160 pounds) or more like a Wrangler: no speed, smoothness or refinement(for lack of enough watts) plus a beating on less than perfect roads?

(no pun intended to Jeep drivers)

I do like the semi-shaped looks of the MB and EVERTI(compared to Siena), also their nice Breezer type dropouts, looks strurdy enough to me.

It is really hard to make a judgment on this since all the world seems to have their opinions really set on this ti issue.

I just want to get the best bike for the money and I have yet to be convinced that the extra $$ for the Siena is really going to make a difference.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
I ride a Litespeed Tuscany 2001, and love it. I am also 5-7" or closer to 8". If I were you I would go wil the small frame with 52.5 TT.

I've never ridden any of the other brands, but I can say that you will not have any buyer's remorse with the Litespeed. The weldings are spot on and tight and design is flawless. In a small size it will be plenty stiff enough but the Ti will seem comfy and won't beat you up on rough roads or long rides. The seat stays seem to take a bit of the road with it, too.

I also have a 853 bike, 1997 Jamis Eclipse, that I outfitted as a single speed. I think you will fing the Litespeed as snappy as your 853, if not more.

Ray

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Litespeed and 853...thanks for the reply.

More than i expected: a feedback with someone who rides both materials.

I'm getting closer to having a good start: i do like to do my homework before i make that kind of decision. And i was spot on when buying the Schwinn 853 so this looks good so far.

I can say for sure that this Siena is a hot bike and comparing it to a Lynskey houseblend it would probably fit between a "2" and a "3" in terms of performance/comfort.

Can a Siena be too stiff for someone 160# doing long rides on bad hilly roads?

As for the size i do have the seat set all the way back on my bike (53cm TT) so a 54TT would balance me a bit more to the front: a good idea since the stays are at least 10mm shorter than my present ride. The 52cm also has a shorter HT and i already push the etiquette with 30mm of spacers.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Long torso or legs?

You know what is comfortable for you but I wouldn't worry about 30mm stack or even 50, which Eastons can handle. Also, you can reverse the stem to get a bit more rise. Personally, I prefer a bit smaller bike with a longer stem, i.e., 130-140. I ride a 120-130 stem on a 52.5 top tube depending on the geometry. This is a sloping TT so you'll have enough crotch clearence either way.

Again, I haven't ridden the Siena but my experience with Litespeed and Ti is that it shouldn't beat you up and should be comfy.

Hell, my Litespeed is comfy enough that I ride on a carbon fiber saddle. I've done 55 miles rides with this saddle and no problems, which I attribute to the damping of road vibes from the Ti.

Keep me posted!

Ray

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sizing

Ray,

Is your Tuscany sloping?

I guess i'm average in size. It's just that I run the stem upwards so i do need the height and a TT with 10 extra mm is just fine. I do favor the comfort aspect and i'm still not sold on the "get the smallest if in between" sizing philosophy (more race than rec rider?)

I'm a still a bit worried with stiffness on a bike that has been ridden by pro team but that's better than old soft ti.

I just picked up a copy of Road magazine (July 2008) and the ti Motobecane's review seems to confirm my impressions: good ride but not great. So i'm still debating if the price gap is worth it.

In the meantime i'll keep looking on ebay and local ads, one never knows.

Any input from Siena riders welcome, of course.

Alex

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.