Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a few titanium bikes from this builder (Lynskey). This new one seems to have a few little (?) issues that others I've had have not. I know this isn't a $6k Moots, so I'm not expecting that sort of attention to detail. This was less than a quarter of that, new. Even so, it seems a little out of place compared to my 2011 and 2012 Lynskeys. Then again, I don't know anything about welding and what's normal and what's not. With that said, what do you all make of this? Superficial? If it's not clear, the top one has a silvery metal showing through in a couple spots on a smoothed weld.

馃嵑

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Most of it looks like this, which what I'd expect:

Registered
Looks like the powder coat chipped off. Get some grey fingernail polish or JBWeld and seal that area!

Registered
Looks like the powder coat chipped off. Get some grey fingernail polish or JBWeld and seal that area!
Powdercoat? I know Lynskey offered paint as an option, but don't most frames, including perhaps this one, come with a natural finish of some sort?

I can't tell anything is wrong from the photos. I say ride it. If it cracks at that spot, then the weld was flawed. If not...

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Yeah, no powder coating. It's bead blasted. I'm going to ask them, but just curious what others think.

Banned Sock Puppet
Powdercoat? I know Lynskey offered paint as an option, but don't most frames, including perhaps this one, come with a natural finish of some sort?
That's what I was thinking. Paint a Ti frame? Sacrilege!

Registered
Not really. For several years Litespeed offered optional factory paint on their Ti frames and even charged $300 extra for it. I never understood it either but I've seen a few of those painted frames.

Russian Troll Farmer
What I see are a bunch of good-quality machine welds, good enough that they did not need any grinding (trust me, you do NOT want to grind titanium if you don't have to!). Aside from one small paint flaw on the edge of a weld, I don't see any issues whatsoever, and I see zero issues with the welds themselves. I'm curious as to what issues YOU see.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Ha. I have one of those too... I quite like it. I actually bought it used here, found out a chainstay was cracked, and Lynskey replaced both of them for free.

What I see are a bunch of good-quality machine welds, good enough that they did not need any grinding (trust me, you do NOT want to grind titanium if you don't have to!). Aside from one small paint flaw on the edge of a weld, I don't see any issues whatsoever, and I see zero issues with the welds themselves. I'm curious as to what issues YOU see.
I covered it in the first post. As I said, I'm going to ask Lynskey about it. It could just be a missed spot when they bead blasted the frame. There's no paint on this frame.

Russian Troll Farmer
Ha. I have one of those too... I quite like it. I actually bought it used here, found out a chainstay was cracked, and Lynskey replaced both of them for free.

I covered it in the first post. As I said, I'm going to ask Lynskey about it. It could just be a missed spot when they bead blasted the frame. There's no paint on this frame.
More than likely then was that it was a bit of welding 'slag' missed when they cleaned-up the weld when removing it from the welding jig, after the machine welded it. This bit probably blew off in the last second of the bead-blast, leaving that 'fisheye' there. I'd consider this a 'slight imperfect' but not a 'second'

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
The reply is basically that they missed part of a weld during media blasting. Oh well. They are also welded by hand, not machine. I imagine machine welds would be more consistent.

Banned
More than likely then was that it was a bit of welding 'slag' missed when they cleaned-up the weld when removing it from the welding jig, after the machine welded it. This bit probably blew off in the last second of the bead-blast, leaving that 'fisheye' there. I'd consider this a 'slight imperfect' but not a 'second'
I tend to agree with you but I would keep a pretty good eye on it since it could be a failure starting on that spot. That weld is a bit sloppy.

Registered
The reply is basically that they missed part of a weld during media blasting. Oh well. They are also welded by hand, not machine. I imagine machine welds would be more consistent.
Actually I think hand welds on high end ti are pretty damn consistent. Unless Moots, Serotta, Seven, Dean, Alchemy (and probably tons that I've never looked closely at) are all machine welding their bikes. But from the pics, that looks consistent coming from Lynskey.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Actually I think hand welds on high end ti are pretty damn consistent. Unless Moots, Serotta, Seven, Dean, Alchemy (and probably tons that I've never looked closely at) are all machine welding their bikes. But from the pics, that looks consistent coming from Lynskey.
Right. I meant that if the welds on this particular frame were from a machine, they'd likely be more uniform. From what I've seen, more money spent on a Ti frame usually means nicer looking welds. These days, the absurd price difference is too large to justify though. Whatever the case, I don't think any of that really matters.

With this one, I was just curious if there was anything obviously visibly wrong aside from it being a bit sloppier than my others. The incomplete media blasting sort of bugs me, but not enough to send it back to have them finish the job properly, which I'm sure they'd do if asked. This thing will be dirty most of the time anyway, so I'll never see it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts