Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
They are horrible pictures

1st of all I would ask for better pictures of the bike right away, you can't even tell that it's a titus, and what types of components are on the bike. Ask for a detailed picture of the bike on the drive side, with drive cranks and derailleurs showing.
Then ask for pictures of the head tube, seat cluster, and handle bar areas with front brakes.
Ask to remove the locking cables, it only create more cluster.

May be then we will be able to tell you the exact age and how much it may be worth. From 1st glance it looks to be over 15 years old.

Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
orbeamike said:
1st of all I would ask for better pictures of the bike right away, you can't even tell that it's a titus, and what types of components are on the bike. Ask for a detailed picture of the bike on the drive side, with drive cranks and derailleurs showing.
Then ask for pictures of the head tube, seat cluster, and handle bar areas with front brakes.
Ask to remove the locking cables, it only create more cluster.

May be then we will be able to tell you the exact age and how much it may be worth. From 1st glance it looks to be over 15 years old.

Mike

I have no interest in buying the bike, just thought it was a interesting find.

600 level components, or something close to that he said.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Vitus not a Titus

This could be a misprint/typo on the part of the seller.

The bike in the photos appears to be a French-built Vitus, not an American-made Titus. In fact, Titus probably wasn't around 15 years years ago.

Cheers,

Texbike

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
texbike said:
This could be a misprint/typo on the part of the seller.

The bike in the photos appears to be a French-built Vitus, not an American-made Titus. In fact, Titus probably wasn't around 15 years years ago.

Cheers,

Texbike
Yup, it does look like a 198? Vitus/Bador frameset. These were sold under various brand names, but they were all made at the Bador factory from Vitus aluminum tubing.

If it is a Vitus/Bador with Shimango 600 stuff, your friend is going to need to be very lucky and/or patient to get $250 for it. I'd guess that $150 was a more realistic price, and even that would not be a bargain-basement, sell-it-fast figure.

Also, keep in mind that these were very flexy, bonded aluminum frames. They have a relatively high frequency of bonding failure at the joints, and the aluminum can fatigue as well. If the bike in question was lightly used by a light rider, it's probably fine. If it has 20,000 miles on it under a massively-strong 250lb behemoth, it's likely to be toast.

Then again, I am not at all familiar with Titus, so I could be completely wrong here. If it really is a Titus, I take everything back.

;)

- FBB

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
It's a Vitus 979. There were two different 979s made, one has a fairly normal pinch bolt seat clamp lug. A later version had a set screw that holds the seat post in place. My '86 979 is the latter, and this one looks like the same type. The 979 was a popular bike in the mid 80s both for local racers and in the pro peloton.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.