Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
This is not good. I feel for all the employees who thought they had jobs if the team folds this close to the new season.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, some guys left some pretty good situations to ride for them. I hope it all works out, but I am starting to doubt that it will.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Yeah, some guys left some pretty good situations to ride for them. I hope it all works out, but I am starting to doubt that it will.
Wow! That's bad... Please pardon my ignorance, but, can established teams sign riders if they fold and until when? Is the Dec 15th rule there to protect riders in this event, so they can go somewhere else before a signing black out? Has Lampre-Merida been in the news as imperiled? I follow cycling, but not super closely, especially this time of year, I'll have to change that! Thanks for the post!

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
UCI awards final WorldTour licence to UAE Abu Dhabi | Cyclingnews.com

Cyclingnews reported on December 13 that bike sponsor Colnago had helped secure a sponsor from Abu Dhabi. The names of the backers and title sponsors are still unclear.

It seems the new sponsors will ensure the team has a budget of eight or nine million Euros. This is likely to be the lowest of all the WorldTour teams and allow little for extra costs such as training camps and expensive team presentations but should ensure that riders and staff are paid their agreed salaries.

TJ Sport re-signed Rui Costa, Diego Ulissi and Sacha Modolo after the deal with its expected Chinese backers in August. The team also added Ben Swift from Team Sky, Darwin Atapuma from BMC, Andrea Guardini from Astana, Vegard Stake Laengen from IAM Cycling and Marco Marcato from Wanty-Groupe Gobert.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am happy for the riders and staff that they have a ride for next year. It sounds like it is a temporary stop-gap measure to get them through the year and/or their contracts, but at least they have a ride.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the contract is for two years.
That's good. If they can string together some solid results during that period, they should have time to find themselves a more stable situation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts