Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2004 Civic Si hatchback. I haven't tried getting my bike in the back yet, but I'm pretty sure I can. Have any of you got the same vehicle and put your bike in the back? I wouldn't mind having a rack on top, but they are pretty spendy as we all know.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Mine fits in my 2000 hatch...

It's a different body style, but I think the 2004 is a little bigger, so it might go. I have to fold the rear seat down, of course, and take the wheels off, and it's a PIA getting it in and out, but it WILL fit

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Choices

brewdude said:
I just bought a 2004 Civic Si hatchback. I haven't tried getting my bike in the back yet, but I'm pretty sure I can. Have any of you got the same vehicle and put your bike in the back? I wouldn't mind having a rack on top, but they are pretty spendy as we all know.
IMO, it's best to avoid external racks if possible. They cut your gas mileage significantly, get the bike all skunked up while driving, are fairly expensive, and require you to take them on and off on some sort of regular basis. If you don't need the room in the car for passengers and/or luggage, it is a lot more convenient to just pop off a wheel and put the bike in the car. I'm not saying external racks are a bad idea, just that if you can avoid having to use one, do it.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Stuff It

One of the great reasons to have a hatchback is to be able to stuff bikes inside. I have an '06 Acura RSX hatchback which should be about the same size as your Civic hatchback. I can easily fit my road bike in by just removing the front wheel and sticking the bike in forward. Better gas mileage, better security for your bike, bike stays cleaner... Racks are great if you have a lot of people or a lot of bikes and I have Yakima racks on my wifes vehicle, but if you can fit it inside then do.

My son and I just returned from a weeklong training camp and were able to fit two bikes, five wheels, two duffel bags and two bike gear bags in the back end. It took some careful packing but with all the wheels removed we were able to stack the bikes on top of the folded down rear seats, fill the cargo area with bags and put the wheels on top of everything.

If you are anal about the appearance of your interior (like I am with a new car) I have a couple of hints. You can go to one of the big box stores and get "auto carpeting" that comes in a big sheet and custom cut it to cover the inside area. This avoids grease getting on your interior. I also got a couple of bike travel bags from Nashbar for around $35 that hold the bikes with the wheels removed. A couple of wheel bags to stuff your wheels in and everything stays really tidy inside the car. Of course you can do the same thing with blankets and towels if you want.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
One of the great reasons to have a hatchback is to be able to stuff bikes inside. I have an '06 Acura RSX hatchback which should be about the same size as your Civic hatchback. I can easily fit my road bike in by just removing the front wheel and sticking the bike in forward. Better gas mileage, better security for your bike, bike stays cleaner...
Couldn't agree more. When I buy a car, which isn't too often, I always look for a hatchback. I take my bike with me to make sure it fits.

·
LOOK lover
625 Posts
Definitely NOT!

Oh wait, sorry. I thought the question was "to buy crack or not to buy crack?"

Seriously, I have a big honkin' SUV with all sorts of room inside, and I still can't imagine life without my bike rack. It gives me lots of flexibility for including my bike(s) in vacations or weekend getaways with the wife and kids, car pooling to races, multiple bikes for stage races and omniums, picking up lumber on the way home from the weekend group ride, etc. I keep the bike inside the vehicle when I can, but it's nice knowing I don't have to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.