Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to take a boon doggle trip to Caracas, Venezuela from 2/9 through 2/12. It's a full day to get there, and a full day back, and one half of the 10th, I'd be sitting on my thumb in a meeting. But . . . it's free . . . better than free, I would get paid to go. Has anyone gone? Is it worth it? This sounds like a stupid question even to me, b/c short of my kids and my wife, there is nothing I enjoy more than seeing someplace new. However, I have heard that Caracas can be a bit on the dodgy side. For reference, I take frequent trips to Mexico City (which also can be a bit dodgy), and I speak Spanish fluently. Still, I was wondering if some of the comments I have read on line re crime are exagerated, etc. Interested in your thoughts . . .
 

·
Genitive Declensioner
Joined
·
12,146 Posts
morrison said:
However, I have heard that Caracas can be a bit on the dodgy side. For reference, I take frequent trips to Mexico City (which also can be a bit dodgy), and I speak Spanish fluently. Still, I was wondering if some of the comments I have read on line re crime are exagerated, etc. Interested in your thoughts . . .
Heard same, know a Venezuelan expat....but if you're fluent and comfortable in MC than I would say by all means go....
Just keep your wits about you.....duh
 

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
Joined
·
21,050 Posts
morrison said:
I have an opportunity to take a boon doggle trip to Caracas, Venezuela from 2/9 through 2/12. It's a full day to get there, and a full day back, and one half of the 10th, I'd be sitting on my thumb in a meeting. But . . . it's free . . . better than free, I would get paid to go. Has anyone gone? Is it worth it? This sounds like a stupid question even to me, b/c short of my kids and my wife, there is nothing I enjoy more than seeing someplace new. However, I have heard that Caracas can be a bit on the dodgy side. For reference, I take frequent trips to Mexico City (which also can be a bit dodgy), and I speak Spanish fluently. Still, I was wondering if some of the comments I have read on line re crime are exagerated, etc. Interested in your thoughts . . .
i've been to morocco, and i'd recommend it.

j/k.

no input, but two requests:

1) how do i become fluent in spanish?

2) post pics of your trip and visit! please!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
net=1.5 days free

Let's see, get bad stomach, catch a strange disease, kidnapped, or even murdered.

Yeah, I'd do it. It's prolly nice there this time of year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haiku d'etat said:
i've been to morocco, and i'd recommend it.

j/k.

no input, but two requests:

1) how do i become fluent in spanish?

2) post pics of your trip and visit! please!
Fluency takes a while. I learned the basic grammar in high school, took a couple of conversation courses while in college, and for the past fifteen years, have spoken Spanish almost every day with clients, etc.

Plus, it helps to live in San Diego where every other person speaks Spansih.
 

·
gazing from the shadows
Joined
·
27,243 Posts
I've heard courses that use cartoons aimed at children are a good way to get going.

But the best way is to learn a bit and then travel and be forced to converse. People learn fast that way. Remember, "My hovercraft is full of eels" is always a handy phrase in any language.

Mi aerodeslizador está lleno de anguilas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,706 Posts
morrison said:
I have an opportunity to take a boon doggle trip to Caracas, Venezuela from 2/9 through 2/12. It's a full day to get there, and a full day back, and one half of the 10th, I'd be sitting on my thumb in a meeting. But . . . it's free . . . better than free, I would get paid to go. Has anyone gone? Is it worth it? This sounds like a stupid question even to me, b/c short of my kids and my wife, there is nothing I enjoy more than seeing someplace new. However, I have heard that Caracas can be a bit on the dodgy side. For reference, I take frequent trips to Mexico City (which also can be a bit dodgy), and I speak Spanish fluently. Still, I was wondering if some of the comments I have read on line re crime are exagerated, etc. Interested in your thoughts . . .
i wouldnt unless it benefits you professionally and you have to. personally, i wouldnt spend any time away from my wife and kids unless the reward was exponentially larger than the risks or what i would lose by going. youre not going to "appreciate" the suffering of the downtrodden any more than you already do since youre already familiar with the challenges people face in a place like mexico or mexico city. been there seen that.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top