Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend is considering a Dogma for his next ride. Damn expensive for a sport rider IMO. I'm curious. What else could he buy that's close in performance, but less $,$$$.$$. I mean, a 585 costs roughly half the scratch.

I'm still on a LOOK 481 SL so I'm not really up on the newest frames from anyone. But if they're like cars, twice the price doesn't mean twice as good. All opinions welcome.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
oily666 said:
What else could he buy that's close in performance, but less $,$$$.$$. I mean, a 585 costs roughly half the scratch.
Anything from like...a CAAD9-4 and "up"...

But like the other posters said: What does it matter? I'd be darn happy if I knew someone with a Dogma. I'd poke it and drool all over it while he/she probably worries their life away about it getting the slightest scuff or scratch.

·
Making memories
285 Posts
Should he get a Dogma? Abso-bloody-lutely! Would you stop him from picking up the hottest chick at the club? Would you tell him to not buy a ferrari and go with the fiat uno instead? Would you stop him from eating a krispy kreme and urge him to eat a rice cake? Well, there is one caveat to this of course, nothing but Campy goes on the Dogma.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JoelS said:
What's the problem with him buying a Dogma if he wants? Why should it bother you? Are you jealous?
Not at all. Someone always has a better bike that you......even you. I like mine just fine. I just think he's been wooed by the curvy tubes and he'll probably ride less than 1K miles a year. Seems like a waste. He's also open to opinions, hence the thread.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
vandalbob said:
Well, there is one caveat to this of course, nothing but Campy goes on the Dogma.
He already knows that. Me too. Goes for any bike IMO.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
oily666 said:
Not at all. Someone always has a better bike that you......even you. I like mine just fine. I just think he's been wooed by the curvy tubes and he'll probably ride less than 1K miles a year. Seems like a waste. He's also open to opinions, hence the thread.
It's his money to spend. Let him spend it. If I could afford one, you bet I'd get a Dogma! Even if I rode it 10mi a year.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JoelS said:
It's his money to spend. Let him spend it. If I could afford one, you bet I'd get a Dogma! Even if I rode it 10mi a year.
But, do you drive a Neon?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well if he wants one, he should get it. So what if he rides 1k a year, do you seriously think these $11,000 bikes are made for racers. Generally I will crash out a frame once every two seasons, and there is no way in hell I’d race something that expensive. These super high end bikes are specifically marketed toward older middle/upper class individuals who have the disposable income to throw down 11k on something they will rarely use. Not many elite twenty something amateurs could even dream of buying something that expensive.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
oily666 said:
But, do you drive a Neon?
what's that got to do with it? I drive a 11 year old Toyota pick up.

If I could afford a Dogma, I'd be all over it. But I'm a stay at home dad. It ain't in the budget.

Again, I ask, why do you have a problem with how your friend chooses to spend his money?

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dcl10 said:
Well if he wants one, he should get it. So what if he rides 1k a year, do you seriously think these $11,000 bikes are made for racers. Generally I will crash out a frame once every two seasons, and there is no way in hell I’d race something that expensive. These super high end bikes are specifically marketed toward older middle/upper class individuals who have the disposable income to throw down 11k on something they will rarely use. Not many elite twenty something amateurs could even dream of buying something that expensive.
This is the stuff I'm looking for. So it's like those guys who pull up to the steakhouse in Chicago's ****** Triangle in an Aston Martin Vanquish?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Or the Ducati riders who put 600 miles a year on the motorcycle....or the Ferrari that gets 1800 miles a year. It's still fun, still a sense of pride of ownership, and one of life's treats. I say go for it if you can afford it. In the worst scenario he could sell it and only be out a few grand over a few years....it's not like he'd blow $11 grand completely.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JoelS said:
what's that got to do with it? I drive a 11 year old Toyota pick up.

If I could afford a Dogma, I'd be all over it. But I'm a stay at home dad. It ain't in the budget.

Again, I ask, why do you have a problem with how your friend chooses to spend his money?
Ultimately he'll buy what he wants. He asked me what I thought. My question was about alternatives to a Dogma. That's all. It's not a moralizer, though it certainly seems like one to you.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ghostryder said:
Get the dogma. Either your friends gets it now and enjoys it, or he gives the money to the wife and she blows it.:D
Good point. He'll probably get married soon too. Screw it. I hope he buys the Dogma. Just hope he chooses a good color.

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
Only reasonable recourse

oily666 said:
The most reasonable thing to do here is for you to convince him to get a frame that is as close as possible to your fit. Then when he gets tired of it, offer to buy it off of him for a Very Special Buddy Price.

Oh, and buy the Campag parts along with it, of course.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Erion929 said:
Or the Ducati riders who put 600 miles a year on the motorcycle....or the Ferrari that gets 1800 miles a year. It's still fun, still a sense of pride of ownership, and one of life's treats. I say go for it if you can afford it. In the worst scenario he could sell it and only be out a few grand over a few years....it's not like he'd blow $11 grand completely.

I'm not saying this fella shouldn't get a Dogma, but a lot of people with really nice things usually don't have any pride in them, they are just shallow and lack self-esteem so buy something that will get other people to notice them. Conspicuous consumption, with very little pride.

Again, talking about in general and how I feel about a lot of the folks with very expensive stuff, not necessarily this particular situation.

Most people who have the ability to feel pride usually have the ability to be modest and not buy the most expensive option available. Just how I see it:D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.