Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got three bikes with campy 10. So, I'm reluctant to plunge into campy 11 because then I'd need to get a bunch of cassettes too for spare wheels. Then, I'd have the problem about not be able to swap wheels back and forth between bikes without cassette changes.

Still, I'm tempted. What is the bare minimum I'd need to buy. Shifters, rear derailleur, chain and cassette? What about chain tools? I don't even know if my local shops stock the new campy chain tool yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
more info...

You need the new chain tool to properly join the new chain. You can get by with one of several 5.9mm master links to join the chain, but all have a sloppy fit. A SRAM 10 powerloc is probably a good choice.

You can get by without the 11 speed RD. I've made very simple modification to the cable clamp bolt on a 10 spped RD to increase the travel and make it work just fine with 11 speed.

The minimum you need to make the switch is the cassette, chain and shifters.

I set each of my bikes up with a wheelset for a specific purpose and don't swap wheels or cassettes, so that is not an issue. With 11 speed, I find a 50/34 with an 11-25 handles everything, including the Colorado mountains.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
C-40 said:
The minimum you need to make the switch is the cassette, chain and shifters.
I wonder if you could swap out the shift discs to make a 10s into an 11?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
info...

Bocephus Jones II said:
I wonder if you could swap out the shift discs to make a 10s into an 11?
2009 ultrashift 10 speed shifters can be converted to 11 speed with two parts. I've posted those on the Campy forum. Earlier model shifters are entirely different.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
C-40 said:
2009 ultrashift 10 speed shifters can be converted to 11 speed with two parts. I've posted those on the Campy forum. Earlier model shifters are entirely different.
thanks. good to know.
 

·
cantankerous old man
Joined
·
121 Posts
C-40 said:
2009 ultrashift 10 speed shifters can be converted to 11 speed with two parts.
In a world where whole bikes are sometimes considered disposable, it's nice to hear that the Italians are still delivering parachronisms
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
paulrad9 said:
In a world where whole bikes are sometimes considered disposable, it's nice to hear that the Italians are still delivering parachronisms
It's nice to hear that some people still use words like parachronism.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
Jeez, isn't ten enough? I don't have a lot of money to burn, so I'll just have to stick with my ancient Campy 10 stuff ('course I'm not mentioning any of my retro 6 & 7 speed friction shift steel bikes that seem to do quite well, thank you, kicking *ss on club rides)
 

·
Every little counts...
Joined
·
3,924 Posts
I am just building a new bicycle, and after 9 years on 10 speed...I'm making the jump to 2008 QS 10 speed. Couldn't do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
C-40 said:
2009 ultrashift 10 speed shifters can be converted to 11 speed with two parts. I've posted those on the Campy forum. Earlier model shifters are entirely different.
what campy forum? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
11 is great...

Spunout said:
I am just building a new bicycle, and after 9 years on 10 speed...I'm making the jump to 2008 QS 10 speed. Couldn't do it.
If you had a chance to ride 11 speed, you'd change your mind. The shifters have a more positive click to them (compared to 10 speed ultrashift) and the shifting is better than ever. I really like the new brake hood shape. I sold off all my pre-2009 shifters. I still have one bike with 10 speed, but I've got the conversion parts for the shifters, a cassette and a chain, so I'm ready to convert it to 11 speed.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top