Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not advertising to sell here just asking for thoughts from those with more experience.

I have a 2007 Specialized Sequoia 58cm road bike I’ve been riding since last year when I started cycling. I have a ton of kids so I enjoy the time in the saddle but don’t get nearly as much as I’d like. I’ve put about 1k miles on it myself and I don’t have any history on it as far as total miles, number of owners, or even what components are original or not. it rides smooth and is quick enough I kept up fine with a buddy on a late model Trek Madone.

I have a Quintana Roo SRFive on order which should be in my hands in a couple weeks so now I have to decide whether to keep the Sequoia as a backup or sell it. The Roo is their base model, no upgrades, but the hydraulic disc brakes and tubeless tires will be new tech to me. The extra cash would be nice but I don’t need it, per se.

What do y’all think: best to keep as a backup, or sell before it’s too antiquated. I can try to answer any questions about the Sequoia that I might have missed since it’s hard to find an accurate link for details on a bike that old.

·
Registered
24,504 Posts
What do y’all think: best to keep as a backup, or sell before it’s too antiquated. I can try to answer any questions about the Sequoia that I might have missed since it’s hard to find an accurate link for details on a bike that old.
The Sequoia is worth about $150-200 (that's generous IMO). It's already antiquated. It was an entry level budget bike 15yrs ago. It originally came with 8sp Sora components.

2007 Specialized Sequoia MSRP USD (new) $770.00

Only you can determine if you need the extra money or keep it as a backup.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Sequoia is worth about $150-200 (that's generous IMO). It's already antiquated. It was an entry level budget bike 15yrs ago. It originally came with 8sp Sora components.

2007 Specialized Sequoia MSRP USD (new) $770.00

Only you can determine if you need the extra money or keep it as a backup.
It still has that 3x8 gear setup so I’d assume that’s original. It’s mostly the front derailleur I’m not sure about… the rear is definitely not original. Shift levers are Sora but brake calipers are 105. I put a $100 saddle on it that I may keep because my sit bones have accustomed to it.
Isn’t $770 in 2007 more like $50k in todays money? (Exaggerated slightly, but still…) That pricing guide doesn’t seem like it’s been updated for market conditions. I bought it for $400 last year and still feel happy about that price.

Do you keep a backup ride or just a primary?

·
Registered
24,504 Posts
Isn’t $770 in 2007 more like $50k in todays money? (Exaggerated slightly, but still…)
Are you talking about inflation? $770 in 2007 would be $1,100 today adjusted for inflation.

That pricing guide doesn’t seem like it’s been updated for market conditions. I bought it for $400 last year and still feel happy about that price.
A year ago the market was pretty crazy due to bike shortages. It's a little better now. It would also depend on your region. I can go on Craigslist and find newer bikes with better components for $400.
I could buy a brand new (with warranty) Specialized Allez $1000 or Giant Contend for $900. Paying $400 for a 15yro bike would be a tough pill to swallow.

Do you keep a backup ride or just a primary?
:unsure:
The correct number of bikes to own is n+1 where n is the number of bikes currently owned.
The idea behind n+1 is that you should own one more bike than the amount you currently own. (y)

It's a silly joke among cyclists but it has ring of truth among serious cyclists. You're always lusting after a new bike. But can't let go of the ones you already have because you're emotionally attached to them.

I currently have 2 backup bikes (looking at a 3rd). Plus 2 MTB's.
If you're a casual cyclist there's not really a need for a backup bike.
But if you ride regularly, how long would you want to be without your bike if something happens? If it's in the shop for a week for repair/tune up? Or you break something and it takes 2 weeks to get a part?
I ride typically 3x a week year round. There's no way I'd go a week without a bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could buy a brand new (with warranty) Specialized Allez $1000 or Giant Contend for $900. Paying $400 for a 15yro bike would be a tough pill to swallow.

:unsure:
The correct number of bikes to own is n+1 where n is the number of bikes currently owned.
The idea behind n+1 is that you should own one more bike than the amount you currently own. (y)

It's a silly joke among cyclists but it has ring of truth among serious cyclists. You're always lusting after a new bike. But can't let go of the ones you already have because you're emotionally attached to them.

I currently have 2 backup bikes (looking at a 3rd). Plus 2 MTB's.
If you're a casual cyclist there's not really a need for a backup bike.
But if you ride regularly, how long would you want to be without your bike if something happens? If it's in the shop for a week for repair/tune up? Or you break something and it takes 2 weeks to get a part?
I ride typically 3x a week year round. There's no way I'd go a week without a bike.
Thanks. That’s pretty much the type of answer I was looking for. I’ve been perusing sites and stores and can’t find anything available in my size, hence purchasing online and waiting 4 weeks. Even Craigslist and FB marketplace are saturated with old or small bikes.

I get the emotionally attached part lol. Granted I’ve only put 1000 mi on it but it’s been fun. I can’t wait to compare the ride with the new one. The Sequoia was in the shop for 2 weeks last year for a tune up. I think lead times may be a little better but not much. Now I’m leaning toward holding onto it unless someone comes along willing to pay the right amount (tbd)

·
Registered
9,672 Posts
You want a bike with racks for utilitarian purposes, want one dedicated to training use so you don't get salt sweat all over a nice bike, don't want to ride a nice new hike in the rain and it takes much bigger tires so can be used for other riding are hypothetical examples of why someone would want a second, inferior, bike.
And kids are not kids forever so with a ton of them it will probably be good for one of them at least to start out with an 'adult' bike.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,867 Posts
I would say keep the old bike at least until you make sure all the kinks are worked out of your new bike.

At that point, I would say unless you are either really strapped for cash or don't have the space to store it, keep it as a backup. As others have said, you won't get a whole lot for it, not to mention the time spent waiting for people to show up, look it over and then try and lowball you.

Reactions: Xydadx3
1 - 10 of 10 Posts