Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Folsom City Blues...
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I've already mentioned in my earlier thread, I'm finally having a custom steel bike made with Steve Rex. Now I have to decide weather to get a lugged steel bike or super-smooth, perfect radius fillet-brazed joint steel bike.

Can someone chime in and lend me your thoughts on the benefits of a lugged frame or a fillet-brazed frame? I would think that a fillet-brazed frame might be lighter then a lugged frame.

If you have time to check out the link for Steve Rex. You may be of the same opinion that Steve Rex dose brilliantly with lugs and fillet-brazed steel frames alike. So ascetically, it's a toss up.

http://www.rexcycles.com/frames-parts/

Peace :cool:

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,240 Posts
Lugged.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Lugged almost always looks better. Though there is a simplicity to design for cleanly brazed frames.

Steve Rex has quite a following in the area here. I've a frame I need to get to him at some point to find out if it's square. If so, to find out if it's safe to ride. If not, to find out if it can be straightened and be made safe to ride.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
IMO a cyclist doesn't choose a custom steel bike (lugged or fillet brazed) because weight is a primary concern, so get the one you think looks best.

I vote one of each. :)

·
Banned
109 Posts
laffeaux said:
The differences are 99.99% aesthetic. Pick the joining method that you think looks better.

No, your wrong; lugging a frame during construction allows the builder to offer a frame in many more sizes. Now, with that being said, it only REALLY applies to a none custom frame; if you are getting a frame built that is 100% custom than you are probably getting custom sizing and geometry anyway.

Mike

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Fillet brazed. Graceful simplicity. I'm going to make a statement out of abject ignorance but I think that lugs are a shortcut and require a lower skill level than fillet brazing. Look at David Kirk's fillet brazing and lugs will look clunky forever more. Amen.

If I had a bike brazed like this I'd clearcoat over bare metal.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
dhfreak said:
No, your wrong; lugging a frame during construction allows the builder to offer a frame in many more sizes. Now, with that being said, it only REALLY applies to a none custom frame; if you are getting a frame built that is 100% custom than you are probably getting custom sizing and geometry anyway.

Mike
This doesn't make any sense at all.:confused:

·
S-Works Tarmac SL3
827 Posts
If I was only going to have one custom steel bike, it would have to be lugged, and with classic scalloped (or scooped) seat stays - not the pinch bolt fastback style as shown in the above picture. The Italians and French had this figured out years ago. They know good looks.

·
Folsom City Blues...
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Reynolds531 said:
Fillet brazed. Graceful simplicity. I'm going to make a statement out of abject ignorance but I think that lugs are a shortcut and require a lower skill level than fillet brazing. Look at David Kirk's fillet brazing and lugs will look clunky forever more. Amen.

Then way does it cost more to build a lugged frame than a fillet brazed frame? But, I do agree, a fillet brazed done right is a beautiful sight to behold. That's way I'm now debating with-in myself weather to do a fillet brazed instead of the lugged frame I originally intended to have built.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,964 Posts
my preference is generally lugged.....HOWEVER.....I saw Len's Kirk........and it is truly a work of art....so it really depends on execution I guess......

·
Banned
109 Posts
Richard said:
This doesn't make any sense at all.:confused:

How does it not? Look at Guru, Colnago, Parlee; they all are able to offer many more 'stock' sizes than the average builders due to their use of lugs.

Mike

·
Banned
109 Posts
Reynolds531 said:

That is nice. It would be B.A. to have a brazed frame left raw with only a clear coat on it to keep the rust away.

Mike

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
dhfreak said:
How does it not? Look at Guru, Colnago, Parlee; they all are able to offer many more 'stock' sizes than the average builders due to their use of lugs.

Mike
A bike that is fillet brazed, TIG welded, or lugged can be made in any size. The method of joining the tubes has nothing to do with how many sizes can be offered. Lugs are actually the most limiting, as a builder can only use angles allowed by the lugs available. A fillet brazed join can be made in any angle using any tube length available.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If weight is a concern, I would have the frame TIG welded with modern oversize tubing. If you want to go with something that is classic & aesthetically pleasing, then my own personal preference is fillet brazed.

Fillet brazing actually requires more skill on the builder's part & also allows for truly custom geometry. No disrespect to dhfreak but he doesn't know what he's talking about. Lugs lock you into a stock geometry & stock tubing diameters. Whereas fillet brazing allows you to build however you want in terms of geometry & tubing diameters. TIG also allows the same.

An example is say you want to go with an oversized top & down tube but standard size seat tube or just an oversized top but normal sized down & seat tubes. Unless a builder stocks every possible lug combination available in varying geometries, you won't be able to build a frame this way because the expense of stocking so many different lugs is too expensive & some combinations simply don't exist. Also some of the newer steel tubesets are specifically designed for either TIG or fillet brazing because they are hydro-formed with unique shapes that do not fit the standard lug profile shape.

Lugs have their own appeal for those that want a truly traditional, classic build. Fancy lugwork on some customs are truly works of art. But as I said above, the lugs can limit the design of your frame especially if you need custom sizing & geometry.

The best thing is to talk to your builder & go from there. The first thing to do is to do a proper fitting. Once that is out of the way, you need to decide what type of bike characteristics you are looking for in your ride. This will decide the geometry & tube diameters. This will narrow down the construction method to either lugs or fillet brazing. Either way, enjoy the process & share photos when you get your new ride.

·
Banned
109 Posts
laffeaux said:
A bike that is fillet brazed, TIG welded, or lugged can be made in any size. The method of joining the tubes has nothing to do with how many sizes can be offered. Lugs are actually the most limiting, as a builder can only use angles allowed by the lugs available. A fillet brazed join can be made in any angle using any tube length available.
Okay, so why do they continue to use lugs instead of a fillet braze? I'm sure it is not to save the consumer money. By the way, lugs are stronger. Here ya go junior:

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/43.htm

Also, why would Vanilla Bicycles, a company with a five year back log choose to use lugs 'whenever possible'?

Mike

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
laffeaux said:
Thank you.:D

·
Folsom City Blues...
4,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here are two examples of a lugged frame and a fillet brazed frame from Steve Rex...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts