Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Fillet brazed. Graceful simplicity. I'm going to make a statement out of abject ignorance but I think that lugs are a shortcut and require a lower skill level than fillet brazing. Look at David Kirk's fillet brazing and lugs will look clunky forever more. Amen.

If I had a bike brazed like this I'd clearcoat over bare metal.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Elfstone said:
Then way does it cost more to build a lugged frame than a fillet brazed frame? But, I do agree, a fillet brazed done right is a beautiful sight to behold. That's way I'm now debating with-in myself weather to do a fillet brazed instead of the lugged frame I originally intended to have built.

Peace :cool:
David Kirk charges $100 more for fillet brazed than he charges for lugged. Fillet brazed could be less expensive because there is no cost to the builder for lugs, but I think that there is more labor and skill in the mitering, brazing, and filing.

·
Unlabeled
3,720 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
as a brief aside, i was at a second hand shop one day and they had an old schwinn 10 speed not sure of the model, nothing noteworthy, but it sure looked to be fillet brazed...where they?
Varsities and Continentals were electroforged. Super Sports, Sports Tourers, Superiors, and Paramount tandems were hand made fillet brazed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.