Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
41,025 Posts
my preference is generally lugged.....HOWEVER.....I saw Len's Kirk........and it is truly a work of art....so it really depends on execution I guess......

·
Frog Whisperer
41,025 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
David Kirk charges $100 more for fillet brazed than he charges for lugged. Fillet brazed could be less expensive because there is no cost to the builder for lugs, but I think that there is more labor and skill in the mitering, brazing, and filing.
as a guy that makes a living with a torch and metal.....I would have to agree about the time and skill involved with the fillet brazing.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,025 Posts
as a brief aside, i was at a second hand shop one day and they had an old schwinn 10 speed not sure of the model, nothing noteworthy, but it sure looked to be fillet brazed...where they?

·
Frog Whisperer
41,025 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
Varsities and Continentals were electroforged. Super Sports, Sports Tourers, Superiors, and Paramount tandems were hand made fillet brazed.
Thanks...that explains it very nicely, especially when I Google'd electro forged and came up with this:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/varsity.html

·
Frog Whisperer
41,025 Posts
matchmaker said:
LUGS, LUGS, LUGS, it is all about aesthetics here.

Filleted frames just look plain. Lugs are beautiful. With a little arabesque in it even more.
true to point...but, sometimes less is more.....there is fillet brazed...then there is Fillet Brazed....

·
Frog Whisperer
41,025 Posts
terry b said:
That is really fascinating.
it really is...and apparently it was a pretty good way to make a bike.....too bad it went bye-bye....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.