Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
laffeaux said:
The differences are 99.99% aesthetic. Pick the joining method that you think looks better.

No, your wrong; lugging a frame during construction allows the builder to offer a frame in many more sizes. Now, with that being said, it only REALLY applies to a none custom frame; if you are getting a frame built that is 100% custom than you are probably getting custom sizing and geometry anyway.

Mike

·
Banned
109 Posts
Reynolds531 said:
Fillet brazed. Graceful simplicity. I'm going to make a statement out of abject ignorance but I think that lugs are a shortcut and require a lower skill level than fillet brazing. Look at David Kirk's fillet brazing and lugs will look clunky forever more. Amen.

If I had a bike brazed like this I'd clearcoat over bare metal.

That is nice. It would be B.A. to have a brazed frame left raw with only a clear coat on it to keep the rust away.

Mike

·
Banned
109 Posts
laffeaux said:
A bike that is fillet brazed, TIG welded, or lugged can be made in any size. The method of joining the tubes has nothing to do with how many sizes can be offered. Lugs are actually the most limiting, as a builder can only use angles allowed by the lugs available. A fillet brazed join can be made in any angle using any tube length available.
Okay, so why do they continue to use lugs instead of a fillet braze? I'm sure it is not to save the consumer money. By the way, lugs are stronger. Here ya go junior:

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/43.htm

Also, why would Vanilla Bicycles, a company with a five year back log choose to use lugs 'whenever possible'?

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.