Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back someone on here asked what tool you all use to take pieces of metal or glass stuck deep in your tires out: well I have a related, but different question. I just found a few pieces stuck in my tires so deep I will need to take the air out and pinch the tire to get them out. My question is do you all routinely do this to your touring/ commuting tires? If I pull the object out won't something else be stuck in there next week?

Reason I ask is I have not looked at my tires all winter, and have had only one flat all season (which as you know is the worst season for debris on the roads). How often do you check and how often do you pull stuff out? I wonder if I mess with it am I going to create a problem?? Just curious how others approach this I am leaning toward pulling them out................Thanks MTT :thumbsup:

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I deflate my tires once a week, wipe them with a wet rag, and go over them pinching the tire looking for glass. I use a jewelers screwdriver to dig stuff out. I don't find much here in the PNW, but in Hawaii I would get a dozen or more chunks of glass a week.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once a week? Well Bill you are on top of it, but I just did it and the strange part was there was nothing in there. I could have sworn I saw metal? Maybe I will look more often........MTT

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I have to ride the shoulder of a state highway in both directions. It only accounts for around 1 mile of my 43 mile round trip but it is the source of most of my tire junk. In the afternoon I am climbing on the shoulder and can pick my way through, but in the morning I am bombing down the hill at 30+ mph with only my headlight to see the way. I hit what I hit. The good part is I can use conti ultra gatorskins instead of the garden hose-like armadillos I had to use in Oahu. The shards of glass are much smaller here.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree the gator is a good tire, but man if Specialized could only put a soft layer on the outside of those Armadillos- those things are Baghdad proof, but slippery!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I use super-glue to stick the hole up that the glass or whatever left. If the hole is really big and has cut the threads of the tire then I bin it.
I've read conflicting views as to whether glass shards etc... will continue to worm their way into the tire or not, but I do it anyway.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Super glue? Now that is a good idea: how long does it stay in there? Which type of glue do you use? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
255 Posts
It seems to stay closed for the remaining life of the tire, if the hole's not too huge. I just use a generic cyano-acrylate (sp. ?) type glue, the kind that dries in 3 or 4 seconds.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
qwertzy said:
I've read conflicting views as to whether glass shards etc... will continue to worm their way into the tire or not, but I do it anyway.

IME, glass does work it's way through the tread. Most of the time it manifests itself in the form of a slow leak because only a tiny point makes it through the casing. The only way to find it is to very carefully feel the inside of the casing to find the offending piece of glass. Another source of flats that has frustrated me are thin pieces of wire. I ride through a shipyard and a common tool is a wire brush. The wires break off with use and if you get one in your tire, you only find it if you see it or find it when it pokes into your finger while feeling the inside of a tire for the cause of your flat.

I align the tire label with the valve stem hole on my commuter tires. If the cause of a flat isn't obvious, I can compare the location of the hole in the tube with where it was in the tire and find the cause.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Can also fill the remaining holes with RTV Silicone. Matches the compound a tad better and is flexible.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Pushing on through

MTT said:
A few weeks back someone on here asked what tool you all use to take pieces of metal or glass stuck deep in your tires out: well I have a related, but different question. I just found a few pieces stuck in my tires so deep I will need to take the air out and pinch the tire to get them out. My question is do you all routinely do this to your touring/ commuting tires? If I pull the object out won't something else be stuck in there next week?
IME, just like bigbill, the bits of glass, wire, and sharp stones will just keep pushing toward your tube with each revolution of the tire. The "puncture vector" is hard and the rubber is soft, so the rubber deforms and pushes the sharp object deeper and deeper. It is quite easy to inspect the tire without deflating it, and only the most difficult situations require you to deflate and pinch the tube to remove the junk.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BentChainring said:
Can also fill the remaining holes with RTV Silicone. Matches the compound a tad better and is flexible.
Where do you get that? Online or your local hardware store? That is one of those ideas, after you hear it, you think oh yea why didn't I think of that?

Thanks MTT :idea:

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,662 Posts
MTT said:
Where do you get that? Online or your local hardware store? That is one of those ideas, after you hear it, you think oh yea why didn't I think of that?

Thanks MTT :idea:
Auto parts store (or department). :cool:

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
when I get a flat

I might glance over my tires every week or so, but normally I don't do the full inspection with digging stuff out until I get a flat or slow leak. Then, I'll inspect from inside out and tread. Some things show on the inside but not outside. I use a sharp awl to dig stuff out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts