Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain to me the advantages of the shaved legs?
I'm a fence sitter on this subject.
I've never shaved them, why should I ?
The sexxy tanned cut shaved legs, is it too Gay?
G-dub :cool:

·
Cyclist
531 Posts
Gay??

Shaving your legs doesn't make you gay.

When it comes down to it, there really isn't much of a tangible advantage for the average cyclist to shave his legs. I do it because I liked it after I tried it and mainly because my girlfriend likes it. She can't wait until I start shaving again (I kind of lapsed over the winter).

Try it, you might like it. And if you don't, it grows back. I've gotten to the point where hairy legs and lycra shorts looks wierd to me.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Agree w/ Nater - certainly not gay

Nater said:
Shaving your legs doesn't make you gay.... I've gotten to the point where hairy legs and lycra shorts looks wierd to me.
We were discussing this topic on our group ride Saturday. None of us had shaved over the winter and it was warming up, so we took off our leg warmers. Everyone was commenting on how weird it felt with the wind on the hairy legs. I shaved the next day, and I suspect the rest of the group did too.

The best explanation I can give is that it makes you feel like you are cutting through the wind with no drag. There is probably no aerodynamic advantage, but it just feels better when you are riding.

Plus, you don't want to be the only guy in the group who doesn't shave his legs. Oh the shame and ridicule at the post rally party!

Your gf/wife will grow to like it. My wife hated it at first, but told me a couple of weeks ago that I looked weird and needed to shave my legs :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
some advantages of shaved legs

it's easier to apply sun blocker or whatever else you may need.
with shaved legs you avoid catching half the insect population of your area.
they say scratches heel faster on shaved legs.

also shaved legs are slightly more aerodynamic :-D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shave 'em or Nair 'em?

innergel said:
We were discussing this topic on our group ride Saturday. None of us had shaved over the winter and it was warming up, so we took off our leg warmers. Everyone was commenting on how weird it felt with the wind on the hairy legs. I shaved the next day, and I suspect the rest of the group did too.

The best explanation I can give is that it makes you feel like you are cutting through the wind with no drag. There is probably no aerodynamic advantage, but it just feels better when you are riding.

Plus, you don't want to be the only guy in the group who doesn't shave his legs. Oh the shame and ridicule at the post rally party!

Your gf/wife will grow to like it. My wife hated it at first, but told me a couple of weeks ago that I looked weird and needed to shave my legs :)
So if i do shave 'em, do you guys use the nair stuff or the razor?
G-dub
:cool:

·
The web is a MUT
1,373 Posts
Just wear kneehigh socks and nobody will notice the hairlessness

Might look kind of funny on the beach though.
;)

Used to know someone in So Calif when I lived down there who's dad would show up at their beach volleyball tournaments wearing Bermuda shorts, Birkenstock sandles, and over the calf black socks. Said it was to teach them to ignore everything except the game. They said it was hard to do when he was also the loudest one there cheering them on.

But, hey, life goes on. Right?

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,433 Posts
Shaving conundrum revisited

Why not?
1. Guys in the gym will give you funny looks
2. Just another personal grooming item you have to deal with
3. Your razor blade budget will have to increase

Why to do it??
1. Other cyclists will give you more respect
2. You will be viewed as dedicated to your sport
3. Your legs will look muscular, lean and sexy
4. Women love it
5. Chicks dig it
6. My wife won't let me grow it back
7. Massage benefits, road rash cleaning benefits, yada yada yada

Bottom line: Try it, if you don't like it, it will grow back.

P.S. Even though I don't ride much at all from Nov-Feb, I still shave my legs. Its' that 4 weeks of stuble my wife hates and I can't last weeks without......

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Get a grip...

yeah, Lance, Cipo, Boonen, Zabel, Hamilton, and Hincapie are all gay... dude, get a grip.

Here is my justification... my first crit... took outside and some schmoe on a cannondale lost it and swept under me. I slid probably 15-20 feet on my side... mainly on the side of my hip, thigh and knee... and my forearm and elbow... still attached to the bike. The only marks on my leg were three little bitty scrapes about 2 inches long about the width of a hair. My arms, which had hair, got a nasty road rash. Last fall, after I had let the hair grow back a bit, I played softball slid into second and it basically peeled my skin off the side of my calf and knee....and that was on dirt and not pavement.

Second justification... you ever gotten a big scrape that you needed a big bandage? You go ahead and pull that big bandage off a mat of nice curly hair... yeah... that is pleasant. If you are shaven, it comes right off with minimal pain.

Third justification.... you ever got a chainring tatoo on a leg with hair on it... its a pain in the butt to get off, with nice clean legs.. really easy to wipe off.

Fourth justification... allows for a more consistent tan.... haha

Dude, if you are uncomfortable with yourself and what others say... you shouldn't be wearing lycra.. .and certainly shouldn't shave.

·
i like whiskey
8,405 Posts
Either is fine

G-dub said:
So if i do shave 'em, do you guys use the nair stuff or the razor?
G-dub
:cool:
For the first pass after a while with no shaving, I use clippers with no guard and then a razor. Razor twice a week from that point forward.

If you use Nair, budget some extra time for standing around waiting for it to do it's job.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Whole leg or knee-down?

G-dub said:

My question (I've never shaved my legs, but then, I'm still a noob): Whole leg, or knee-down?

OwMyNads

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
My Answer

If you want to do it, do it. If you're afraid of what the social consequences are, you probably don't want to do it.

You're concerned about what others will think, yet you dress up in goofy looking lycra and you're worried about looking strange (or as you put it "gay") because you shave your legs? If you are a serious cyclist, you probably are already a 'social misfit' of sorts.

Dude, have some perspective. It's just hair.

Sincerely
Mike (with shaved legs for a loooong time now)

ps - don't use nair - it smells awful and can irritate your skin badly. Shaving is not a big deal once you get used to it.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
innergel said:
For the first pass after a while with no shaving, I use clippers with no guard and then a razor. Razor twice a week from that point forward.
Do yourself a BIG favor! Use the mustache trimmer attachment on your electric razor (or clippers) before you start using the bic! I've done it both ways, it works MUCH better if you get the big stuff off first.

Mike

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
G-dub said:
The sexxy tanned cut shaved legs, is it too Gay?
G-dub :cool:
there is no reason why you 'should' but many have left good reasons why it's good. i used to shave but am too lazy. maybe again this year but growing it back can suck, iiittcchhhyyy.

i did the whole leg. stopping half way up the thigh left a weird feeling of rubbing at the hair-line. i would also use an electric razor for maintanence. it was quick, easy, pain(blood)-less and 'clean'.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a pair of adjustable clippers - I'll set it one or two clicks up to get all the winter growth off, since the blades are sharp enough to knick in the weird spots (think kneecaps).
After that, it's a hot shower, some King of Shaves gel, and a sharp Mach 3, and I'm smooth again. Nair is a no-no. It's caustic and takes just as long as shaving. Plus the smell of melting hair is pretty foul.
Luckily, my wife doesn't mind stubble, so I shave every couple of days in season. Winter and shaved legs is painful, at least until the goosebumps subside, so I let it grow back in the cold months. Once kneewarner season starts, though, off comes the hair.
And yes, it really does help with road rash, both the healing of and not getting in the first place. Smooth skin slides, hair catches. Plus, getting a massage is much more pleasant for giver and receiver with smooth legs. And it marks you as a cyclist, as valid as that may be.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.