Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
No shave vote here

The only reason I don't shave is because I am lazy and very low maintenance. I don't even like shaving my face. I might regret it one day with some serious road rash, but until then, I will enjoy my no-maintenance legs. If I had a personal masseuse, I would give it some more thought.

Most serious riders do shave though, so if you want to fit in on your fast group ride or race, shave. Also, if you get massages or want an easier time cleaning your crash wounds, shave.

· Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
You should do what sounds good/fun/important to you. For me, I don't because my wife has drawn the line at the "hair shorts" look, and there's no way I'm shaving my backside.

· Registered
432 Posts
It's only a style issue to shave. No other reason. It can be rationalized up the ying yang. Think about those aboriginies that distend their lips with wooden blocks. No practical reason; it's just style. Shaving legs is in the same category.

9,419 Posts
96gators said:
Someone please shed light on where the shave lines ends? Not to get too nosey here but should one decide to shave, does that include the errr... nether-regions too?
Well, a year or two ago there was some guy who responded to every post about shaving with "...and don't forget to shave the boys!" This dude plainly had an obsession with shaved wedding tackle, and wasn't shy about sharing.

My wife still laughs about it--if we see or hear anything that makes reference to "the boys," no matter how innocent, she howls with laughter.

So I guess this is all to say that people do shave "down there," but also to point out that the greatest proponent known to me was creepy in the extreme.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Well, a year or two ago there was some guy who responded to every post about shaving with "...and don't forget to shave the boys!" This dude plainly had an obsession with shaved wedding tackle, and wasn't shy about sharing.

My wife still laughs about it--if we see or hear anything that makes reference to "the boys," no matter how innocent, she howls with laughter.

So I guess this is all to say that people do shave "down there," but also to point out that the greatest proponent known to me was creepy in the extreme.
whatever floats yr boat I guess...sounds really itchy though. :eek:

// Hair shorts are gross though...shave the whole leg or you'll look pretty strange when you wear shorter shorts than your cycling ones.

9,419 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
// Hair shorts are gross though...shave the whole leg or you'll look pretty strange when you wear shorter shorts than your cycling ones.
Hair shorts, hair briefs, hair thong. What's the difference, really? Either way, my wife has promised to be freaked out, and if conceding the point means I have one less hygiene thing to mess with, well I guess I'm all for it. No (leg) shaving for me.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Hair shorts, hair briefs, hair thong. What's the difference, really? Either way, my wife has promised to be freaked out, and if conceding the point means I have one less hygiene thing to mess with, well I guess I'm all for it. No (leg) shaving for me.
I gave up shaving all last winter, but I was so used to the shaved look that I shaved again this spring. I just thought my legs looked dirty with all the hair--not to mention bugs getting caught in the hair, etc.

· Registered
17 Posts
Insight Driver said:
It's only a style issue to shave. No other reason. It can be rationalized up the ying yang. Think about those aboriginies that distend their lips with wooden blocks. No practical reason; it's just style. Shaving legs is in the same category.
just some clarification for a noob...is this true? shaving is for personal style? i thought it had something to do w/ aerodynamics, kind of like swimmers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.