having a 30 something on your wheel is a great compliment

·
Registered
487 Posts
huh???

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i've had a group of 4 guys younger than me take turns sucking my wheels through this backbay trail...felt so used. didnt even thank me

·
Registered
614 Posts
foofighter said:
i've had a group of 4 guys younger than me take turns sucking my wheels through this backbay trail...felt so used. didnt even thank me

And they never will either. People are forgetting their manners lately :( Just ask my mate this morning, with all those medals he has won and he chose to sit on mine and crack the whip.

·
Registered
708 Posts
martinrjensen said:
hey, I've even sucked wheels off girls, but I felt weird doing it.....
Hey now that's just enjoying the scenery. I'll not condemn you for it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
A friend and I suck the wheels of 2 very lovely A grade Ladies the other day
while they were training to take on the pros in this weeks lead up race for the worlds Here im Melb (the Ballarat Classic) I did do a turn though but my friend and I thought they needed the training more than us lol

But I did thank them for their efforts when they turned off and wished them good luck in the race

You should always thank the lead guys or girls on the front! I always make a point of riding up the front before i turn off to thank the lead group it is the right thing to do as far as i am concerned!!!

Twiggy

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Ok, last week i caught a rider riding along, im sure having a good time with ear buds in. Riding a very nice trek carbon wonder bike. Now im not the slowest thing but im not lance either, but i caught him and felt good. WHY?

I was on my giant trance, 4-5 inches of full squishy suspension, 2.3 inch tires, the works, darn thing weighs in at 38 lbs.

No i didnt pass, i was happy enough just catching and holding the wheel. He never knew i was back there and far be it from me to pass the guy on his fantastic trek (and it was quite nice) with my full squishy with tires big enough to grace a monster truck.

And i was on the road because my job at the firehouse was short and called me to come in and cover the rest of the shift. Road was fastest way back. LOL LOL

Bill

·
Looking for my Amish Love
907 Posts
Someone gets on your wheel, either:
A) be strong enough to ride them off your wheel
B) slow down so they don't want to sit behind you
C) god forbid, you talk to them & tell them to take a pull

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
capt_phun said:
D) lead them into a wheel-swallowing hole which you bunny-hop.

·
Registered
467 Posts
crossracer said:
Ok, last week i caught a rider riding along, im sure having a good time with ear buds in. Riding a very nice trek carbon wonder bike. Now im not the slowest thing but im not lance either, but i caught him and felt good. WHY?

I was on my giant trance, 4-5 inches of full squishy suspension, 2.3 inch tires, the works, darn thing weighs in at 38 lbs.

No i didnt pass, i was happy enough just catching and holding the wheel. He never knew i was back there and far be it from me to pass the guy on his fantastic trek (and it was quite nice) with my full squishy with tires big enough to grace a monster truck.

And i was on the road because my job at the firehouse was short and called me to come in and cover the rest of the shift. Road was fastest way back. LOL LOL

Bill
I love posts like this. Ever hear of a recovery ride? Having a nice bike doesn't mean you're obligated to go a million miles an hour at all times. I've been passed by kids riding home from class on 10 year old huffys... because I raced an hour long crit the night before and was just out enjoying the day.

·
It's Good to be The King
79 Posts
bikerjulio said:
you are most welcome.

when you are older than this guy

having a 30 something on your wheel is a great compliment

Without asking? WTF? Are you the Queen or something?

Just sayin'

(who knows, you might be Charles' mother, hell I don't know).

·
Registered
21,542 Posts
Not understanding

crossracer said:
Ok, last week i caught a rider riding along, im sure having a good time with ear buds in. Riding a very nice trek carbon wonder bike. Now im not the slowest thing but im not lance either, but i caught him and felt good.
This sort of thing just confuses me. In order to catch somebody in any kind of reasonable amount of time, you have to be going a few mph faster at least. (2 mph faster would mean that it would take you 30 minutes to close a one mile gap). If you're going that much faster than someone, why does it somehow make sense to slow down so much and sit on their wheel?

I'm not aiming this at you particularly, but at all the people who constantly talk about catching someone and then sitting on their wheel. I'm confused :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I've done "C" too. Don't see an issue with that. I think that coming up and drafting without asking kind of depends on the circumstances. I ride in the city and it's always busy riding on the streets. Usually if I take an uninvited draft, it's a section of road that it's not really safe to pass on. Now 95% of the time if I am on their tail for more than a minute, I will let them know I'm behind them and not trying to pass. If it's a long straight a way, after about half way, whether I am really ready or not, I offer to pull them, and then do the best I can for as long as I can. I really haven't had a problem with this yet. If i was out on a isolated road and just came up on a single rider (this hasn't happened yet), I would let him know immediately that I was on his tail and just taking a break. Now if I'm riding along and I am definitely faster than the rider in front and all I want to do is pass, I may stay on his tail without asking until it's safe to pass.
capt_phun said:

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, it's just an example. This better?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
foofighter said:
Not to be a padant but this is not sucking wheels. This is called taking turns pulling. A wheel sucker will not take his or her turn at the front, thus forcing everyone else to do the work, thus the term wheel sucker, like a "sucker fish" that lives off the work of his host.

·
Registered
27,389 Posts
Aw, gee, Kerry.

Kerry Irons said:
This sort of thing just confuses me. In order to catch somebody in any kind of reasonable amount of time, you have to be going a few mph faster at least. (2 mph faster would mean that it would take you 30 minutes to close a one mile gap). If you're going that much faster than someone, why does it somehow make sense to slow down so much and sit on their wheel?

I'm not aiming this at you particularly, but at all the people who constantly talk about catching someone and then sitting on their wheel. I'm confused :)
You're no fun. The point of drafting is you worked your butt off catching the prey, and now it's time to tuck into that nice, pleasant draft and recover! :biggrin5:

·
Registered
27,389 Posts
Well, maybe down there...

twiggy73 said:
...You should always thank the lead guys or girls on the front! I always make a point of riding up the front before i turn off to thank the lead group it is the right thing to do as far as i am concerned!!!

Twiggy
Up here in Northern Virginia, USA, whenever I thank someone for a nice draft, which is fairly frequently :)biggrin5:), I always make a point to thank them profusely when parting.

You know what? I've never gotten so much as a groan or nod in response. It's real dog eat dog up here, man! Like, they think I'm being sarcastic or something. :frown2: Sometimes, I just don't get it. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts