Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
who insist on walking and jogging on the wrong side of the road...

You're asshats. The lot of you.

I don't care that you think you're safer by facing oncoming traffic as you walk or jog. You may be. But when you are on the right hand side of the road and walking or jogging at me you leave me no choice but to veer around you. You take away the option of slowing down behind you, waiting until it's safe to pass, and then swinging around.

I don't care if the ghost of Jim Fixx came to you in a vision quest and told you to run against traffic. Don't do it.

Asshats.

That is all. :)

This public service message brought to you by Opus.
"Opus. Complaining about the ridiculous since 1986."

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
That doesn't bother me as much as the peds and joggers in the bike lanes next to the sidewalks! :mad5: :incazzato:

Can't blame peds for facing traffic, considering the violent nature of cars. They really could use that extra split-second advantage. Except that they're not paying attention anyway, so yeah might as well force them over to the other side if that's the case.

Tell them there's Pokemons on the other side :lol:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Another thing, when we come up on you at 20 miles an hour don't look surprised, your in my lane not the other way around.

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Sub'd and popping corn to eat while watching the show. Taking the bait and countering with my opinion that walkers and runners that go the same direction as traffic are the idiots.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Especially annoying when they do it on MUTs and then come around a blind corner to find them running at you :mad2:

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sub'd and popping corn to eat while watching the show. Taking the bait and countering with my opinion that walkers and runners that go the same direction as traffic are the idiots.
Okay, maybe "asshat" is a little strong.

Butt-beanies?
Derriere-derbies?
Tuchus-tamoshanters?

·
959 Posts
So you really prefer coming up behind them rather than having them see you as you approach? Even when I'm driving I often ask my kids "do they really teach you to do something so stupid as walk with traffic these days (wearing all black at night)?" We're gonna have to agree to disagree.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you really prefer coming up behind them rather than having them see you as you approach? Even when I'm driving I often ask my kids "do they really teach you to do something so stupid as walk with traffic these days (wearing all black at night)?" We're gonna have to agree to disagree.
I prefer having the option of slowing down behind them if there's oncoming traffic, then making a safer pass.

I don't prefer having them jogging toward me and oncoming traffic rolling toward me at the same time forcing me to split the difference.

By that same logic, I assume you ride against traffic as well? I mean, if seeing and being seen is the priority...

·
Registered
525 Posts
That doesn't bother me as much as the peds and joggers in the bike lanes next to the sidewalks! :mad5: :incazzato:
Prior to my retirement, I encountered this, and it was very annoying. Now that I'm out in the country, so to speak, I don't have to contend with that any more.

And, I was very early on taught to walk facing vehicular traffic.

·
959 Posts
I prefer having the option of slowing down behind them if there's oncoming traffic, then making a safer pass.

I don't prefer having them jogging toward me and oncoming traffic rolling toward me at the same time forcing me to split the difference.

By that same logic, I assume you ride against traffic as well? I mean, if seeing and being seen is the priority...
Ride against traffic? Hell no. I can think of nothing more horrifying. But wrt to walkers and joggers they almost without fail will acknowledge me well in advance an either hop up on the grass to give me more room or move as far to the curb as they can. If there is car traffic coming over my shoulder that's my problem. I can chose to pass or not. But that's all on me.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,959 Posts

I don't care that you think you're safer by facing oncoming traffic as you walk or jog. You may be. But when you are on the right hand side of the road and walking or jogging at me you leave me no choice but to veer around you. You take away the option of slowing down behind you, waiting until it's safe to pass, and then swinging around.

I don't care if the ghost of Jim Fixx came to you in a vision quest and told you to run against traffic. Don't do it.

Asshats.

Incorrect. At least here in Nebraska they are following the law. You walk/jog facing traffic on roads. Don't know where you are, but odds are my traffic law ain't that dissimilar from yours on this point. You're passing, it is your obligation to yield and wait to make a safe pass at your discretion/risk.

Your PSA is similar to people adamant that bikes don't belong on the roads.....their heartfelt opinion of anger that is thoroughly wrong legally.

Now...people who ride against traffic are in the wrong legally, completely, and push my buttons. Pedestrians OTOH move against traffic just about everywhere in the USA I know of.

·
Registered
165 Posts
FWIW in a lot of states pedestrians are supposed to go against traffic flow if on the street. Bikes with traffic. I personally prefer they see me rather than swing an arm or something as they are listening to their music.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
δanned
7,005 Posts

Asshats.

"§321.326 Pedestrians on left.
Pedestrians shall at all times when walking on or along a highway, walk on the left side of such highway."

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/2013/321.326.pdf

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
why are you so close to oncoming traffic?

peds and joggers are the least of my problems. Egotists in trucks and teens in cars are at the top.

·
An Eye for an Eye - Deal
3 Posts

Asshats.

Somewhere on a bubba.com forum site a good ol boy is complaining bout all them bicycle riders taking up the roads. "Why don't they just ride in the park or up on the sidewalks? Next time I'm gonna throw my spit bottle at them Purdy boys in their tights"...

Reactions: mik_git

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Incorrect. At least here in Nebraska they are following the law. You walk/jog facing traffic on roads. of.

Ditto

The village of Mill Neck, on the north shore of Long Island, made this the local law about 30 years ago.

I think most runners are advised to run against traffic if running on the road.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I couldn't disagree more, opus. You're wrong, IMHO. I have no problem going around people on the right side of the road. They're going in the safer (and legal) direction for them, because of the auto traffic they have to watch for. I slow down, and when there's a suitable break in the overtaking traffic I go around. I know what the overtaking traffic is doing because I have a mirror and use it.

MisterMike said it well:
If there is car traffic coming over my shoulder that's my problem. I can chose to pass or not. But that's all on me.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Laws?!?! LAWS?!?!

I give you irrefutable logic and you give me laws? :)

Runners have been mollycoddled for too long, sez I.

I ran once... in the early 90s... it was a Tuesday as I recall. And by gum, I ran with traffic and lived to tell the tale.

http://youtu.be/U6_UytaH_3w

See! Froome gets it. Notice. He runs with traffic...

Seriously, though, I get the legality and the precedent. What I don't get is the rationale. Is it because they're slow? Hey, so am I. Is it because they're vulnerable if they get hit by a car? Hey, so am I. And when they're (and today it was a group running three abreast) running at me with heavy oncoming traffic on a narrow two-lane road with no shoulder, I would have liked the option of waiting to pass, yes.

I'm not saying they don't belong on the road but what may be safer for a runner may not necessarily be safer for a cyclist.

So, for the foreseeable future, they remain butt-beanies at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Bicycles are faster and subject to the rules of the road like any other vehicle. Runners are more vulnerable mixed in among traffic and need to be able to react quickly as they are slower. If you don't like it stay on the MUT or sidewalk where you belong pro racer.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts