Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Potatoes
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We took the opportunity to enjoy a nice sunny Sunday and check out the Berlin Zoo for the first time.

Heading away from home.

Arriving at Alexanderplatz with views some decaying old DDR quality-built buildings.

Alexanderplatz Bahnhof.

·
Potatoes
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
To the Zoo! Part 1

Riding through Tiergarten.

Bike traffic... a sunny Sunday meant about 20 bikes waiting for the light.

Flea Market

Charlotte of Charlottenburg.

·
Potatoes
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To the Zoo! Part 3

On the way home:

Mix 1 part Free Jumping Castle, 1 part kids and 1 part of complete lack of supervision.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
majura said:
.....Mix 1 part Free Jumping Castle, 1 part kids and 1 part of complete lack of supervision....
Sweet!

BTW we are pretty sure to spend about 3 weeks in September in Germany-Bavaria (or should I say BEERvaria) and the Alps mostly. Do you think Berlin is worth a side trip (we will be on the tandem again)?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I used to complain about business trips to Berlin since they were usually in February but I did get a chance to go in May once and it was beautiful. I do not work for a German owned company anymore so I haven't been in a couple of years but your pictures bring back some fond memories of my travels there.

I wish I had the chance to visit again and ride my bike there.

·
Potatoes
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rodar: Not a Deutsche, just an Australian dragged over by a German girl.

MB1: The riding around Berlin is nothing spectacular think flat and then flatter. What is nice, is riding out to Potsdam through Gruenewald and looking at the old palaces as well as riding around Weißen See (all West). It really is nice out there. Plenty of museums, galleries, theatre,concerts and shows if that takes your fancy. I guess what makes it special is that there are huge differences between the different 'areas'. It's a city of contrast - not beauty. At least that's what I think makes it a cool place to live in. There's also quite a lot of history to see.

It is quite a long way from Bayern and once you cross the old East/West border there's not much inbetween except farms and more farms. So I'd probably recommend train or plane if you do have the time. The official tourist site is quite good and if you do decide to come I'd be happy to show you round.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
MB1 said:
Sweet!

BTW we are pretty sure to spend about 3 weeks in September in Germany-Bavaria (or should I say BEERvaria) and the Alps mostly. Do you think Berlin is worth a side trip (we will be on the tandem again)?
The saying goes: "Berlin ist immer eine Reise wert."

And it's true. Berlin should be on every traveler's list. It's a casual cyclist's heaven with sidewalk cafes on every corner.

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
majura said:
Rodar: Not a Deutsche, just an Australian dragged over by a German girl.
Dude, the grammar police will get you! It's the Nomonativ, Deutscher. Unless you're a girl, of course.

In which case I apologize.

P.S.: Love the post - keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
seeborough said:
Dude, the grammar police will get you! It's the Nomonativ, Deutscher. Unless you're a girl, of course.
He`s safe. All the Grammar Police live in Montreal and aren`t interrested in German.

OT: The monkeys made me remember a trip to the zoo a few years ago. A boy monkey was raping a (presumably) girl monkey and one other zoo visitor (girl variety, presumably) had a sh1t fit. She was yelling at the poor guy, then started scrounging for rocks to throw, only finding a few pebbles. My wife and I had to leave because we couldn`t contain our laughter, but looking back I`m sorry I laughed. I guess the rock thrower had her reasons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.