Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be a robot on this post real quick.

Vintage Specialized Allez Epic from 1993. Carbon tubes with alloy lugs. Its been involved in an automotive accident (don't worry I suffered mental trauma but my legs are ok ;-) )

Rear spreads are to narrow to accept modern rear axles. Can do the 9 of 10 rear cog trick. But would rather spread the rears to accept modern day equipment.

OR!! Fallow my passion and not pragmatic get a new replacement frame for this spring and summer?

I'm grouping together a shimano 105/Ultegra grouppo with SRAM shifters (just love the look and function of SRAM shifters over Shimano)
Wheels are Mavic Open pros, Fork is a Ritchey Comp Carbon. ETC ETC ETC.

Take the risk, save money, finish the 105/Ultegra/SRAM build? Or involve a new frame?

NOTE: I have no real beef with the frame. But structurally it may not make sense to stick with it. :-// ///

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'll be a robot on this post real quick.

Vintage Specialized Allez Epic from 1993. Carbon tubes with alloy lugs. Its been involved in an automotive accident (don't worry I suffered mental trauma but my legs are ok ;-) )

Rear spreads are to narrow to accept modern rear axles. Can do the 9 of 10 rear cog trick. But would rather spread the rears to accept modern day equipment.

OR!! Fallow my passion and not pragmatic get a new replacement frame for this spring and summer?

I'm grouping together a shimano 105/Ultegra grouppo with SRAM shifters (just love the look and function of SRAM shifters over Shimano)
Wheels are Mavic Open pros, Fork is a Ritchey Comp Carbon. ETC ETC ETC.

Take the risk, save money, finish the 105/Ultegra/SRAM build? Or involve a new frame?

NOTE: I have no real beef with the frame. But structurally it may not make sense to stick with it. :-// ///
Have your frame checked out before you really hurt yourself.

·
Registered
321 Posts
You've gotten your moneys worth out of that frame. I wouldn't want the aggravation and would get something else. You can always get it checked out and finish the build next year. Nothing wrong with having multiple bikes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts