Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just recently decided to up grade my road bike to Campy Chorus, went out and bought a whole groupset and am currently having it built up by a friend...

Now I hear about the new 11 speed coming out... did I just waist my money?

1.) Are the prices on the 10 speed stuff about to drop because everyone wants the new 11 speed stuff?

2.) Assuming the 11 speed trend picks up (like the 10 speed trend did from the 9), how long before finding parts (say, if I want to change the cogs/cassett to get a different gearing) start becoming harder to find? I've never tried looking for a 9 speed cassett so I don't know if they're still readily available or not.

I expect a computer to be obsolete before you take it out of the box, but bike parts?

Any opinions? Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You have made a good choice. Yes 11 speed will come out, but will continue to be expensive and likely hard to get a hand on for a while. Its a good idea to wait for the first generation at get out and be tested by early adopters to get the kinks out.

Look at SRAM, they're doing awesome don't get me wrong. However, they are making significant upgrades a year after SRAM red was released. These upgrades are trickling down to their lower tier component groups too.

The nice thing about Campy 10 speed is that they have years of experience and proven technology. Keep your chorus, don't worry about parts, they'll definitely be available. If you get antsy, then go buy an extra cassette and chain and your chorus will last you well into the next generation.

Otherwise, if you feel you need to have the newest thing, believe me, I'll take your chorus off your hands...seriously...I'm looking for chorus/record 10 speed deals from people dropping for 11 speed or SRAM.

sscooterguy

·
Registered
578 Posts
to answer your question i think you did just jump the gun a little early.. after talking with my LBS... they did mention that 10 speed stuff will go down in price.. now this depends how much u paid for chorus.....if you got a deal great... if not then yea.. you shoulda have waited just a little bit...

but chorus is a great buy... i dont think you will be dissapointed... but its very very easy to get bitten by the UPGRADE bug.... i know tons of people who are waiting for 11.. and are ready to dump their 10 speed stuff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.