Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case there are gluttons for punishment who are staying up late on the east coast to watch the stage this evening, thought I'd throw in the spoiler alert.

Let me just say, I forgot about JJ Haedo. Damn, that guy is fast. Beat Stuey O'Grady and Pollack to the line today (no slouches in the sprint those 2). Can't wait to watch it tomorrow on the old TiVo, looks like from the live report, it was a decent stage. Why so short though? 130k, that's not that long, I'm thinking they should have had longer stages for this race.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/feb06/california06/?id=results/california061

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
magnolialover said:
Just in case there are gluttons for punishment who are staying up late on the east coast to watch the stage this evening, thought I'd throw in the spoiler alert.

Let me just say, I forgot about JJ Haedo. Damn, that guy is fast. Beat Stuey O'Grady and Pollack to the line today (no slouches in the sprint those 2). Can't wait to watch it tomorrow on the old TiVo, looks like from the live report, it was a decent stage. Why so short though? 130k, that's not that long, I'm thinking they should have had longer stages for this race.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/feb06/california06/?id=results/california061
What are the odds of JJ landing on a protour team next year?

The guy can throw down. I don't just mean this win, but he took a lot of podium spots last season as well. BofA crit I believe, among others.

I think they're doing short stages since it is so early in the season. That being said, there are some longer stages on the horizon.

As an east coaster new to the bay area, I was sad to see the mountains I ride over here called small climbs. More proof that the pros are a different breed, and I can't climb worth sh!t.

Silas

·
Registered
512 Posts
I rode part way up Mount Tamalpais and watched them race by, then I rode the rest of the way to the top. Tomorrow I'm a Course Marshall at the start of Stage 2.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Question about today's race...

walrus said:
I rode part way up Mount Tamalpais and watched them race by, then I rode the rest of the way to the top. Tomorrow I'm a Course Marshall at the start of Stage 2.
I now live in So Cal, but have lived in Marin for about 10 years before moving down south. I saw the live video feed of the two man breakaway today (Sierra-Nevada's Stewart (?) and the C.A. guy (can't remember his name) on the ToC website and was shocked not to see any spectators in that video feed. Granted, there isn't much room to park on much of that road, but there are some places to stop and wait for the race to pass. Why weren't there any fans?

What was your feeling about this??

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even though.,..

laxman said:
I now live in So Cal, but have lived in Marin for about 10 years before moving down south. I saw the live video feed of the two man breakaway today (Sierra-Nevada's Stewart (?) and the C.A. guy (can't remember his name) on the ToC website and was shocked not to see any spectators in that video feed. Granted, there isn't much room to park on much of that road, but there are some places to stop and wait for the race to pass. Why weren't there any fans?

Even though 130 k is a short distance for a pro race, there aren't going to be spectators every inch of the way. Too much road to cover, that and cycling isn't that popular of a sport in the US. Check out the starts and the finishes, there will probably be plenty of people then.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
laxman said:

there were quite a lot of people in downtown santa rosa and we had a decent crowd on the corner i was marshal at. nothing like the SFGP but this was a weekday and not a holiday for everyone.

knowing some of the behind the scenes logistic uncertainties when planning the finish, i'm just glad it went off without anything major going wrong.

i'm just amazed at how fast they cover some of the roads i regularly ride. and they were doing the 3 mile circuit with lots of turns in 5 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts